Harrington & Richardson Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by DMoore, Aug 15, 2006.

1. DMoore

DMoore New Member

Hi,

Got this Harrington & Richardson 6 cyl. revolver that I need some info on. I have its original box. It appears to be nickel. Box says H&R 32 Automatic Double Action. Top of Barrel says Harrington & Richardson Arms Company Worster, Mass. U.S.A. Pat. Oct. 4, 1887, May 12 & Aug. 5 89. Serial no under grip is 85### Can someone tell me when it was made and its value? Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Does it say a model # or caliber on it or in the box
  3. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

Looks like my mod. 1 H&R .32 S&W The only writing should be on the top of the barrel. Ser. # Is under grip panel. Every one says they are not worth much.
    Steve
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

dmoore,
    while your H&R auto-ejecting appears to be in very good condition the box is not original to it. the box is for the first model auto-ejecting large frame either 32 (6 shot) or 38 (5 shot). the revolver is either a second or third model large frame autoejecting. first model (1885-1889), second model (1890-1904) & third model (1905-1941). only the third model is suitable for smokeless powder.

the revolver in the picture appears to be a second model but it order to determine when it was manufactured i will need to know the exact markings on the top of the barrel and or left side of the barrel. patent dates and the way they appear on the top of the barrel is important in determining era of manufacture. the serial number will be on the bottom of the top strap (remove cylinder), left side of grip frame (remove grips) and a partical number on the rear of the cylinder.

the first and second model auto-ejecting have difference frame shapes, grips and internal mechanism. in my opinion the only way the box and revolver are original to each other is left over box from first model and very early second model revolver (first week or so of manufacture in 1890) only the markings and serial number can tell us that. because of the ongoing changes in manufacture happening during this era H&R did not make a habit of mixing boxes and revolvers.
    bill
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  5. DMoore

DMoore New Member

Hi Bill and thanks for reply.
    Top of barrel says " Harrington & Richardson Arms Company
    Wooster MASS O.S.A. Pat. Oct 4,1887 May 12 & Aug 6, 89". Serial from under grip is 85### See new pic
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

sorry i didn't pick up on some of the information i ask for earlier. i see now you already posted it. the city that H&R is located in is actually worcester, mass. they were there from 1871 until the middle 1970s.

the three patent dates you listed were used between 1894 and 1897. does your revolver have a letter prefix to the serial number found on the bottom of the top strap (cylinder must be removed to see this location). other from this era do. being at least four years into the production of the second model i doubt H&R had first model boxes left over.

first patent dates listed is for the cylinder retainer(oct.4,1887 number 370926) second is for the target logo grip design (may 12, 1889 number D19090) and the third is for the double action mechanism (aug.6,1889 number 4088457).

almost forgot to add a H&R first model auto-ejecting box in good condition is much sought after by H&R collectors and is rarer than the first model revolvers.
    bill
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  7. DMoore

DMoore New Member

I checked under the strap as you suggested and low and behold, I found and "A" prefix to the serial number A85###. In view of this new info, can you tell me when it was made and its approx value?

Thanks
  8. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

dmoore,
    your pictures and serial number just filled a gap in my research. the button on the bottom of the frame, that disconnects the extractor star, was last used in 1897 so that means the "A" letter code was used on the large frame auto-ejecting model in 1897.

if your revolver is in about the same condition mechanially as the pictures show it to be physically its would be between $125 to $150. the first model box could bring $50 plus at auction alone. if selling these two they should be seperated.
    bill
  9. DMoore

DMoore New Member

Bill,
    Thanks for the info. I'm glad to help out with the research