Harrington & Richardson Scrap & Crap Or Paper Weight

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 4514252, Dec 20, 2010.

1. 4514252

4514252 New Member

Harrington & Richardson Arms Company
    Top-break barrel with fix cylinder 6-shot
    Barrel on top: Patent Oct 4 '87 May 4 & Aug 6 '89
    Grip Serial Number: 50575
    Cylinder has stamped mark 52 5
    Condition: crappy

It is a third-generation from what I've read. This thing has laid around for decades. I got the itching to check in with it for value before tossing it. The hammer/trigger assembly is busted. The hammer gets jammed and won't close. An internal spring, from what I gather, is busted as it was laying laying inside the grip.

Is this thing thing worth scrap, trash, or keeping? Thank you. It makes for a fine paper-weight, but it gets old explaining the gun's history.

Attached Files:

2. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

That's one if you ever had any urgings to practice a little gunsmithing you could probably find the parts and try to repair it yourself. (You wouldn't be hurting anything valuable if you fail.) As to paying someone else to fix it.....probably not worth it. (It's not totally valueless, the parts are worth something)
    It's the sort of thing I might pay $10-15 for. (Including shipping.;):D)
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The mainspring (hammer spring) is available from Wolff (www.gunsprings.com) but I wouldn't recommed spending much time or money on that gun. You can hang it on the wall and tell folks how your great granddad fought off the Indians with it.

Jim
  4. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Keep it around, Look at it this way the bloody thing dont eat nuttin, it dont smell funny, you dont have to wipe its Behind. Whats it hurtng, nuttin.
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

that's cut Big Ugly
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I agree with what deadin said, if your interested in a bit of gunsmithing, dig around and you might "dig" up the parts for it and have yourself a good project.
    Obviously you cant hurt the firearm.
  7. muddober

muddober Active Member

And the indians won!
  8. Mr.Negativity

Mr.Negativity New Member

i had a problem with my H&R .32 1897 revolver the trigger wouldnt return back to position to fire the next round i found a site that sells parts for our pistols. i made my return spring from an old torsion spriing from a pull start off a lawnmower i just cut it then ground it to size and it works grest. but heres a link to a site that sells parts for your pistol.

http://www.gun-parts.com/harringtonrichardson/
  9. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i will give you some information on your revolver and let you make up your own mind what to do with it. this is a second model large frame auto-ejecting 4th variation. check the serial number under the top strap for a letter code prefix. as this is in need of repairs i have left out value but one in lke new condition with box (100%) will anly bring about $250.

AUTOMATIC EJECTING SECOND MODEL
    (NEW FRAME TARGET LOGO GRIPS) (BLACK POWDER) ---1890-1904
    New frame shape and new hard rubber grip panels with Target Logo, Auto-ejecting mechanism, Calibers 32 S&W, 6 shot cylinder capacity, 38 S&W caliber 5 shot cylinder capacity, nickel finish (blue optional), barrel lengths of 2½ (rare), 3¼ (standard), 4, 5 & 6 inches available. “IF THERE IS NO CALIBER MARKING ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE BARREL THEN IT WAS MANUFACTURED FOR BLACK POWDER”. Top of barrel markings include company name and address and patent dates.
    First Variation; one patent date OCT-4-87 only-------1890-1892
    Second Variation one patent date marked OCT-4-1887 (year marked in full) ------1890-1892*
    Third Variation three patent dates, Oct-4-1887, May 14 & Aug-6-89 ----1893-Only*
    Fourth Variation three patent dates Oct-4-87, May-14 & Aug-6-89 (note 87 date des not have full year markings) ----1894-1896*
    Fifth Variation five patent dates Oct-4-87, May 14 & Aug-6-89, April-2-95, April-7-96-----1897-1904*
    *Serial numbers found on the bottom side of the top strap will have letter codes with them.

bill
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010