Harrington & Richardson Serial Number

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by David D, Sep 17, 2011.

1. David D

David D New Member

I recently came into possession of what appears to be an old H & R .22 cal. shotgun. The serial number (or at least the number written on the side of the barrell) is 10922. I am seeking information on the appx age and/or value of this firearm. Any thoughts?

Dave
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

David D,
    Welcome to the forum. I have NO knowledge of a .22 cal. shotgun produced by H&R - not saying that there wasn't an example or more of a smooth bore .22 made by them.
    The serial number is really of no help with the ID or age of such a firearm. We're going to need full posting of any and all markings on the gun and where they're located. There must be some stamping with H&R on the piece somewhere if that is how you IDed it - and also the caliber marking. Is there anything else. Can you post pictures of the gun? If not at the very least, along with all the markings - describe the type of action - break open? - bolt? anything else? Sounds like an interesting find and looking forward to learning more about it.
  3. David D

David D New Member

Jim: Thanks for your response and interest. Maybe it's not a shotgun, but it sure looks to be. It is a breech/break load. It has "Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. Worccester, Mass. USA" engraved on the side above the trigger. When you break it open the number 10922 is engraved at the loading end of the barrell. It's been in my father's attic for years and he just recently passed but I seem to recall him saying it was a .22 shotgun, but I may be wrong. It's a very small firearm - only 37 inches from end to end. I'll try and post a photo.
  4. David D

David D New Member

Jim: Thanks for your response and interest. Maybe it's not a shotgun, but it sure looks to be. It is a breech/break load. It has "Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. Worccester, Mass. USA" engraved on the side above the trigger. When you break it open the number 10922 is engraved at the loading end of the barrell. It's been in my father's attic for years and he just recently passed but I seem to recall him saying it was a .22 shotgun, but I may be wrong. It's a very small firearm - only 37 inches from end to end. I'll try and post a photo.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      186.1 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      180.4 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      146.7 KB
      Views:
  5. leo66

leo66 New Member

Looks like a .410 single shot.
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

David D.,
    The gun you have pictured is a "FOLDING" Model - LIGHT WEIGHT or Small Frame and is chambered for .410 bore shot shells. The inside or bore of the barrel should be smooth and not rifled? It is definitely, originally intended to be a shot gun.
    The "FOLDING" Model was offered in two frame sizes - Large for 12, 16 and 20 gauges with 26" barrel, manufactured from 1928 - 1942; Small for 28 ga. or .410 bore with a 22" barrel. On either, there is a recessed slot in the underside of the forestock into which fits the trigger guard when the gun is "folded".
    See pics:

IMG_2281_2.jpg

IMG_2265_2.jpg
  7. knieland

knieland New Member

Jim,

I have a similar 12 gauge, but it's not the folding model. It's a break with serial number of 835748. Is there anyway to figure the age of the shotgun? What would be the best way to do some restoration work? This shotgun has been in my family for 3 generations, and I'll be the 4th. We need to get rid of the rust on the barrel, restore the stock, and it seems like everything is in working order.
  8. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

knieland,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Good questions - can you post a pic for I.D.? If not: what's stamped into the left side of the receiver? - is the hinge pin removable or fixed? - what's stamped into the top of the barrel?
    To rid yourself of the rust - use 0000 (four ought) xtra fine steel or copper wool with a good grade of gun oil. LIGHT rubbing of the oil treated steel with the wool should remove the rust and not mar the finish. Wipe it down several times during the wool treatment, until no more brown/red rust shows up on the rag. Coat it with Silicone spray - allow to dry, then buff with a clean dry rag. Depending upon how badly chewed up the wood is - you would follow standard furniture restoring techniques - strip, sand, dedust - apply your choice of stain or simply apply a surface treatment. Don't do the stock until we determine what you have - do the metal - be very gentle on the sides of the receiver if any hint of case color remains or, just rub it down with oil saturated TOILET PAPER - cheaper brands are very mildly abrasive and I've used TP many times on sensitive surfaces, including polished wood and knife blades. I always used the cheaper brands of TP, as did my parents, and as I approach age 65 - I calculate I've probably polished at least 6" of epidermis off my a..hole during those years.:D:rolleyes::bleh:
  9. knieland

knieland New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome! I have a few pictures now on the computer. Sadly, I didn't snag a good photo of the side of the receiver. I am uploading what I have in hopes you guys can help me identify a closer age. At this point, I have it narrowed to somewhere in the 1904-1940 range. A little more info, the barrel is stamped on top with "Made in U.S.A. 12gauge" just in front of the break. The serial number 835748 is stamped at the barrel joint, and the underside of the receiver. The left side of the receiver says "Harrington & Richardson....Worcester, MA" (i'll try to get a picture of it). SO, let the games begin on who knows the age of this gun!

Attached Files:

10. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

It's a Model 1908 and with that serial number, I'd guess made somewhere between 1925 and 1930. Let me check some of my sources - that is a pretty high serial number and I may be low by 5 years or so. I'll be back.
  11. hegene

hegene New Member

I have a 38 cal S&W CTGE S# 112959 When was this gun manufactured ?
  12. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

hegene, Welcome to the forum. It would be better to start a new post and topic rather than tack onto a old post that has nothing to do with your firearm. The above post is dealing with shotguns, you are inquiring about a handgun. We will also nee more information, Who manufactured it, S&W? Colt? H&R?, all you given us is the fact it uses the 38 Smith and Wesson Cartridge, nothing of the Make, model or what ever. If you are not familiar with firearms then post clear pictures and I'm sure we can help you.:)
  13. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I was going to move the last two posts to a more appropriate area, but without knowing the make of pistol you have, I don't know what to title the new thread so folks will know what it is.

Check the manufacturer, stamped on the gun somewhere, and start a new thread saying something like "Need Mfg. date of an old Colt pistol". That way, the guys here that have GREAT knowledge of your particular brand will find the post and answer it -

And WELCOME to TFF!
  14. knight0334

knight0334 Active Member

I'm going to assume it is a H&R because you posted in a H&R related thread.. ...but H&R made several models of .38S&W chambered guns. And those several models have several variations.

We need pictures, exact word-for-word translations of the roll stamps, and location of the roll stamps.
  15. Smed76

Smed76 New Member

Question-I have an hr 1908 break down 12g.w/snap on forarm.the forarm is the shape that tapers off to nothing on the end.a point.my question to any one who will help me is will anouther forearm that's off another model fit it.I want one that's more square like a topper.just don't want to order one that won't fit and waste $. Thanks.