The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrington & Richardson top break 32 S&W DA Revolver 6 Shot Model ID

9K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  knight0334 
#1 ·
H&R top break 32 S&W DA Revolver 6 shot was my father's used to kill cattle & hogs for butchering. As pictures indicate no patent dates, "Massachusetts" spelled out, "32 S&W CTGE" on left side of 4" bbl (smokeless powder), SN 465803 stamped on bottom of butt, under side of latch above cylinder, on frame under grips & 803 (last 3 of SN) on back side of cylinder & extractor. Cylinder screws off to the left, latch has flat spring. Hammer spring is flat. Hammer has fixed round firing pin w/ 2 set positions. Trigger guard, trigger & latch are blued. I have researched hours & as near as I can determine it is an Automatic Ejecting Third Model, Fourth or Fifth Variation. It's in fairly good working order (may need new Hand, cylinder locking nub on trigger looks worn down), nickel plating is terrible. It is of value to me & I would not attempt to shoot it w/o competent gun smith's approval. The grips have some chips & I would like to get a new set & other parts if required. Numrich makes it difficult for me to determine which set fits my revolver because I can't ID the exact model I have. I've looked on other parts web sites & they are not much help. Some sites claim there are S&W + Iver Johnson parts that will interchange. All the old gunsmiths in my area (Georgetown, TX) have either died or retired. Remington 32 S&W Target ammo is available in my area. I reload a number of pistol & rifle calibers & could reload 32 S&W. (Just saw vintagegungrips.net on another post) Still would like ID for other parts. I know it looks like hell on the outside, but it is family!!!!!

Could someone please help. I'm too darn stubborn to give up on this yet. Thanks, Herb (Retired US Army/Rancher)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It is a Large Frame Automatic Ejecting, 3rd Model, 4th Variation. It is a smokeless gun. It was made between 1916 and 1924. It should be chambered in .32S&W Long, so .32S&W(the short one) will work too. (just like using .38special in a .357mag)

I'd put the value around $100-$125, a little more or less depending on your location, and your local supply/demand.

Numrich refers to this model as the "New Model". http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...s-36449/NewModelLargeFrameAutomatic-38130.htm

Note: Numrich is getting thin on some H&R parts, so if they dont have what you need - there are a couple other places that also sell some H&R parts.

At vintagegungrips the grips should be these: http://www.vintagegungrips.net/ao-h2.html

You definitely want to order the optional "Generic Hardware Kit" too. Getting the old escutcheons out of the original grips usually screws them up to the point that you cant use them..

#4 ·
You are plenty welcome. :)

With the Vintagegungrips - you may have to do a little bit of fitting. ...nothing serious though. A simple file can be used to tweak it in places. The places typically needing attention is the top of the grip where the "target logo" is. ...narrow the radius of that area, and the "wings" that jet outwards some. Not every one of their grips needs that tweaking, but sometimes they do.

I have a set of theirs on a small frame hammerless that needed the tweaking. After a little bit of filing, they fit great. And that gun is now one of my regular pocket pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.