Harrington & Richardson

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by olds442x, May 7, 2009.

1. olds442x

olds442x New Member

Can you please give me information on an H & R 16 gauge shotgun serial number A113557? The gun reads Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. Worcester, Mass. U.S.A. PAT. FEB 23 & 27 1900 on the side of the receiver and 16 GA CHOKE on the top of the 30" single barrel. Was able to remove hinge pin (knocked out with brass punch and replaced after cleaning). Large frame (1-1/4" wide), round tang receiver. Is there any way for me to track model and production date from serial number. I need to purchase replacement stock and forearm Numerich is waiting on supply (out of stock) for models 1900, 1905, 1908 & 1915 but do not know when. Thank you for you time and information. Identify chamber size? Is the firing pin spring loaded? The firing pin on this gun slides free back and forth as though the spring is missing.
  2. olds442x

olds442x New Member

Also need to know if modern ammo can be used in this gun?
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

these patent dates was marked on both the model 1900 and the model 1908. the model 1900 has a removable hinge pin but the model 1908 does not (usually take a hydraulic press to remove. so i am not sure what model you have can you furnish pictures of the left side of the frame.

internal mechanism part are the same for both of these models.
    bill
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
  4. olds442x

olds442x New Member

Mr. Goforth,

Here are three pictures of left side of receiver.

Thanks,

Rick

Attached Files:

5. olds442x

olds442x New Member

Exact wording on left side of receiver:
    HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS CO
    WORCESTER,MASS,U.S.A.PAT.FEB.23& 27 1900
    Thanks,
    Rick
  6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

it is a model 1908 and the dating i can give you is before 1921, the year H&R stopped stamping patent dates on this model. it should be safe with modern ammo although i would check the chamber to see what the length is. but do not fire anything over the 2 3/4 inch standard velocity field loads in a single barrel this old.

the fact that you were able to drive out the hinge pin with a center punch indicates it is worn and should be replaced or the barrel may not lock up tight enough to be safe.
    bill
  7. olds442x

olds442x New Member

bill,
    thank you very much for this information. just need to check out whether firing pin is functioning correctly and and verify that hinge pin is safe and I will assemble gun. the only thing that i need is a new butt and forearm. numerich arms is out of stock of both items. do you have any other sources?
    again thank you,
    rick
  8. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

parts do show up some times on the online auction sites and e-bay. you just hve to keep checking these sites.
    bill