Has anyone ever seen one of these before??

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Brad - Stevens 311, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Brad - Stevens 311

Brad - Stevens 311 New Member

Hey guys. Newbie here from Maine. Well, I figured I'd try to get some help on this old Winchester 22LR rifle thats been dogging me for years. This gun was givin to me by my grandpa several years ago. He told me it was givin to him long ago by his father who originally used it to shoot hogs on the farm. I've looked everywhere on the internet for info. But there is no evidence that this even existed, I can't even find a photo of one. Aside from all that, It accually shoots very well, And is suprisingly very accurate. I still use it ocassionally for rabbit hunting. It has a really unique spring loaded bolt that you pull back.
    The model is 02-22. It shoots shorts, longs, and extra long. And is patented in 1899. The photos show the rest. If I could get any info on this, It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, - Brad

Attached Files:

2. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I can't tell you much about it but I have one very similar, a 02A. Just as yours is, mine is also a good shooter. Around my area they are fairly common and seem to be handed down as a first rifle for many kids.
  3. BillM

BillM Active Member

The first of the little Winchester "boys rifles" was the 1900. The 02 (1902)
    was next. They even made a odd Thumb-trigger version. Yours looks
    like it has a replacement stock with more "adult" dimensions. The original
    stocks were short, about like the current tiny bolt action 22's made for kids.

Most of the 02's I've seen also had a more ornate trigger guard, more
    like this one:http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=15601
  4. Brad - Stevens 311

Ok that rings a bell, 02A is all that came up on the computer when I tried to look mine up.
  5. Brad - Stevens 311

That very well could be. Everything on the gun looks original so I never gave it a thought that the stock could be a replacement. Plus my grandfather said its the same as it was when his father gave it to him. Thanks Bill, - Brad