Has anyone heard of a guy named P.V. Pratt who makes muzzelloaders?

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by mauserman454, Dec 18, 2003.

1. mauserman454

mauserman454 New Member

I picked up a nice custom made Muzzelloader last weekend. It is a Pennsylvania style rifle in 50caliber percussion. It has some nice inlays, beautiful carving, and some really nice engraving. It is my understanding that this rifle is not original from the 19th century, but that is was had built in the 1960's by a gentleman called P.V. Pratt, who tried to make his rifles as authentic as possible. The barrel is marked P.V Pratt Sylvan Beach, NY N.O. 69

I picked up a nice flintlock made by the same man too. This rifle is N.O. 870, I think he made about 1000 rifles.

Best of all I Paid less than $200 for them...
  2. MnHunter

MnHunter New Member

Sounds to me you found one heck of a good deal out there.. :D
  3. flint and roundball

flint and roundball New Member

yes,i know him very well he has been a close family friend and taught my father how to build muzzle loaders back in the mid 1960's.
  4. seatime

seatime New Member

Could you give me details about PV . I understand that he is a retired NY State Trooper I have one of his 45 cal flintlock guns numbered #17 in Sylva Beach NY. Your information will make the history of this rifle available to the owners of his guns...I think it is very important to document these makers.

Thanks

seatime
  5. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

There's a Pratt PV - Phone 315-762-4887 - Sylvan Beach - New York listed at www.ypstate.com>NY>SylvanBeach. Don't know if this is the PVPratt you're looking for, but it might be worth a try.
  6. seatime

seatime New Member

Thanks Mc but this PV has the phone disconnected...He was assuredly the same one or a junior. Rumor has it that he moved further upstate NY...PV may have passed away by now. He is said to have been a state trooper. Sad...because if no information exists on him we have lost some gun making history...he made a pretty nice flintlock. Wish I could get in touch with the guy that said he knew him and that he taught his father how to make them.

Seatime
  7. seatime

seatime New Member

200 bucks...good deal I reckon!!! This gun should be worth a lot more if it is top condition. Ya can't hardly buy a junk 22 for that now days. I want 750.00 for my Pratt #17 and think that is a low ball figure.
  8. checkeredcross7

checkeredcross7 Member

Somewhere between heaven and hell. Right on the mu
    If your interested youtube this ... kyafield hershel house. He and his brother make blackpowder rifles from scratch. I have seen his work firsthand, five years ago during the fall shoot at friendship indiana. If I had $1000-$1500 to spend..........