has anyone shot BILL WILSON or ED BROWN 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by smallblock, Mar 24, 2007.

1. smallblock

smallblock New Member

I would like to know how ED BROWN or BILL WILSON 1911's shoot compared to a Kimber 1911. are they that much better? I never shot one, I have only shot Kimber or Colt ,witch I own. thank you
  2. But small, wouldn't shooting poor ol' Bill and Ed be kinda antisocial? :eek: :D

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. ;)

All three you named are well-made, accurate, and reliable weapons, small. I think it comes down to personal preference more than anything else.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2007
  3. kkramer673

kkramer673 New Member

I have a Kimber Aegis II and a Pro Raptor II, and I just traded a Kimber Custom II, all of which are/were great 1911s. But I just bought a Wilson CQB and I do think it is the next level up, even for someone like me who is a BIG Kimber fan. (And it should be, since a CQB costs literally twice what a Raptor does.)

The CQB's functioning is 100% flawless, and its accuracy is exactly as represented. In fact, the test target accompanying my pistol has a single ragged hole for a 25 yard test firing from a rest. The most amazing thing about the Wilson is how smoothly the slide racks. It's like it's on ball bearings.

I know nothing about Ed Brown 1911s, although their reputation is like Wilson's and Les Baer's.

BUT, Kimber's are fantastic 1911s, and the Pro Raptor II might still be my favorite.
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I own Kimber,Wilson Combat and Les Baer 1911's. Although Kimbers are fine 1911's, The Baer or Wilson Combat 1911 will out perform the Kimber due to hand fitting of parts and the match barrel. My Les Baer Premier II will out shoot my Wilson Combat Super Grade.
  5. HadEmAll

HadEmAll New Member

I'd love to have one each Wilson and Brown to test-fire. I believe they are better by far than my Kimber Classic.

I still have the plastic mainspring housing in my Kimber, and some of the MMI parts. My Kimber took Wilson magazines and extractor to be reliable. And a Wilson safety to make it stay on safe reliably.

I believe the other two would have been almost perfect right off the bat, but for the $1500 difference, I am satisfied with my Kimber. It just took time to make it reliable.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

my hobbies afford me lots of opportunities to test drive weapons that im likely not to own until i get richer.... my advice is, unless you have 1500- 2500 bucks to drop on a brown, wilson, or a baer. dont shoot em, it will make you absolutely sick at your stomach the next time you take your kimber or springfield out for a ride... or you could always put off the mortgage payment for a couple months, afterall ,cardboard boxes are cheaper than high end pistols:)
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  7. HadEmAll

HadEmAll New Member

I don't think it's that bad. They may be a little prettier, and I'd love to have one, but my Kimber shoots better than I can. And launches the exact same bullets as any of those high-dollar pistols. As I said, it just took time to get reliable.
  8. Sandhills Writer

Sandhills Writer New Member

:rolleyes:There is a noticeable difference. I have Wilsons, Kimbers, Colts and Springfields. The Wilsons are a bunch better. If you can afford a Wilson, Brown, or any other high end pistol, go for it. The Kimbers are fine guns for the money, but they are not in the same league as Wilson, Brown, Bauer, etc.
  9. Bravo1

Bravo1 New Member

The kimbers are not in the same class as a Wilson combat or Ed Brown 1911, those to are far better pistols and yes i own one of each and carry my Ed Brown Executive everyday, and shoot my Wilson in IDPA compitition on a regular basis. the Kimber cant Hold a candle to the others, i sold my 2 Kimbers to buy an Ed Brown and have not regreted it one bit since. my Ed Brown will shoot 1.5" at 25yrds from a sandbag rest, and my Wilson will do the same as long as i do my part. 5,000rds through my Wilson, and more then 3,000rds through my Ed Brown. not a hiccup or problem with either...