Has the ATF stopped adding guns to the C&R list?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by The Count, Oct 16, 2010.

1. The Count

The Count New Member

...seems like it has been forever since new pistols were added to the C&R list. shouldn't some actually be automatically get C&R status once 50 years old or does the ATF have to 'officially' give its blessings?
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If the gun is over 50 years old it is automatically a C&R. On newer guns, BATFE does not just decide to add something to the C&R list; someone has to request them to add it, explaining why it is a C&R and not likely to be used as a weapon. If there is any reasonable justification, the C&R status is usually granted. AFAIK, that is still the policy so I assume no one has asked for any additions to the list.

Jim
  3. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    I doubt the BATFE gets in any hurry to add ANYTHING to ANY list ................. unless it's to ban it, of course! :mad:
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I have known applications for C&R status to be granted in a couple of weeks. I don't know if that is fast, slow, or average.

Jim
  5. wpage

wpage New Member

6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Section c is the one usually cited when asking that a modern gun be added to the list. To make up an example, an importer finds some Beretta 92's in Bongo-Bongo that were made as a special order for the Bongo-Bongo palace guard, all engraved and with the Glorious and Noble King's crest. To ease importation and sale, he petitions BATFE to declare them C&R, even though the Beretta Model 92 is in daily production and is a modern gun.

Chances are that BATFE will approve the request and add those guns to the C&R list as "Beretta 92 made for the Palace Guard of Bongo-Bongo, engraved and bearing the Royal arms of Bongo-Bongo inscribed by the factory, and having serial numbers BB1 through BB200."

Note that this is totally separate from the general 50-year rule, and was being done long before there ever was a 50-year rule.

Jim
  7. The Count

The Count New Member

hey, put me down for 3 of those bongo bongo palace guard guns!

PS i would like to know who now has all of those gold plated custom guns saddam had>?
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If those guns ever turn up in the US, BATFE would either 1) declare them C&R or 2) arrest the owner for illegal importation, or 3) both. I don't think I would file an application.

Jim
  9. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

Polish P64 Pistol now C&R Eligible
    Just found this out from a JG Sales email. (from a month or two ago ?) i have a p-64 stamped 1974, why are they considered c&r 's now ? just curious
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

What I said. Someone asked that they be designated as C&R, and BATFE went along.

Sometimes, things work out in an odd way. When the Iron Curtain was still very much in place and looked permanent, some importer got hold of a few East German Makarovs and got BATFE to designate them C&R because of their rarity. IIRC they were priced in the thousands. Then the Curtain came down and Makarovs of various kinds were allowed to be imported, but only the E. German guns were C&R. The market was up to here in $99 Maks, and the guys who paid big bucks for one only a few years earlier were tearing their hair.

Jim
  11. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

upon further review i've come to the conclusion i asked a dumb question. after all we are talking about the gov't. ..
  12. wpage

wpage New Member

Jim,
    Interesting you picked the Beretta 92 since it is a design from Mr. Beretta from the 50's and clearly a candidate for C&R class...
    However still a viable firearm like the colt 1911.
  13. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The "pick" was random, but the C&R 50 year category is based on the year the individual gun was made, not the year the model was designed or introduced. The Blue Book indicates first 92 production was in 1976, so no 92's would fall under the 50 year rule at this time.

Jim