Has your gun saved you, or has it hurt you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by carolannjeanette, Jan 29, 2012.

1. carolannjeanette

carolannjeanette New Member

I am curious if there are any real life stories about how owning a gun has saved your life/the lives of others, and the circumstances around the event.

I am also curious if having a gun has hurt you or somebody else, and those circumstances that lead to the negative outcome.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

I've a lady student , her story is excellent , but under litigation here

Australia is very anti gun and so our crime rates are HUGE add to this the islamic gangs that roam freely shooting up the place every night

basically she was on her way home from work and got hijacked car jacked etc .. smashed the passenger window and one dove into the car

they tried to get her to a remote location but she tricked them into going to her home to tend her baby ..

her baby was a walther P-22 , she shot one in the knee and the others surrendered

typical of crimes by this subsection of our multicultural environs the lady has been attacked publically and directly and has had to relocate .. ( witness intimidation) )

they are demanding a sharia court judges them and its been 3 years at court and they still have not been tried ( but are locked up) , but stopped them cold from what she knows happens .. they had been calling their friends on their mobiles while she was driving and heard them brag they had "another one" so come and join the "party"

but sadly thanks to gun control we have mainly victim stories here ..
  3. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

I dont have any personl stories of my own to share. I do know, published in the "American Rifleman" magazines published by the NRA, are stories of armed citizens using thier guns in defense of themsleves/others in a section labeled "The Armed Citizen"

I do believe one of the members offered you a subscription to the NRA. It's definitely worth having and can provide valuable information.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

5. carolannjeanette

carolannjeanette New Member

Oh cool, I liked reading the stories. I think I was also searching for more reason to pursue this gun thing.

6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

best one i can say locally here is the neighbours wife , came home from shopping and found a nest of snakes had taken over the potato draw , poisonous ones too ..

as she came back with the shotgun 2 tried to come in to the main house when she opened the door , she dispatched them , then reloaded and gave both barrels to the spud bin , no 4 shot by the looks of what was left ,

those snakes we dont have a anti venom for yet ..

they think now theres construction going on nearby the snakes moved ..

and they are both well into their 70's , she only called me to check if they where all dead as Alex, her hubby ,was in town ( and they aint mobile phone type folks ) , that she didn't want to do but explained she could not wait there all day to see if one was playing possum ;) Top old lady eh ..

she's got her shotgun and fears nothing . thats equality ;)
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  7. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

Ben in that spot twice.
    first time. hapened when one of our volunteer fireman got drunk and thought he was going to just wonder into my house at 3 in the morning. he changed his mind when he looked up the steps and my 357 was looking right back at him. hes not on the fire department anymore. and hes the one that called the police. he was pissed i pointed my firearm at him. well that got him booted from the fire dept.
    and he was informed he could be charged with criminal tresspasing and unlawful entry.
    the second time we had a problem with a prowler. like i said i have 7 kids 6 are girls. he was spoted maney times peeking around our windows and even on the top deck looking in the patio door.
    My sister inlaws hubby would check on the house when i was gone on the road working. thats how bad it was geting. then one night me and my friends wher playing cards in the garage and he showed up. we all ccw. we went out the back garage dore and the sound of all thoughs slides working he took of runing. hit the side gate, which i had padle locked, and he broke the fence going thriugh it. HE HAS NEVER RETERNED.
  8. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

I think I told this here somewhere before. Anyways, here goes: I was getting out of Publix Shopping Center about 9 PM in what is called "suit-case city," an 'interesting' area of Tampa after class at USF years ago. Well, I was being stupid. I had money pined under my chin and I was putting it in my wallet when I heard a click behind me. I turned to see a punk kid with a switch blade waving at me to give him my wallet.

I stared at him in disbelieve thinking "I am getting mugged by Macaulay Culkin." My pause made him motion for the wallet again. Well, I drew my Combat Elite, disengaged the safety, and motioned for him to come closer. I figured he was 3-4 feet away and I'd close distance a hell of a lot fast then him with the 45.

He dropped the knife and took off. I put the safety on, put my wallet and gun away and picked up the knife stating "nice freakin' knife"

So, I guess I robbed a robber.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

In a few weeks, you will start recieving your mags that have the armed citizen stories in them, which I have always loved to read. It warms my heart when the average person who is minding their own business in their own homes are able to stop these thugs in their tracks. All of the gun control in the world will never disarm the criminal. It only hurts the law abiding citizen and takes away their ability to protect themselves from the criminals who will have guns no matter what the law says. This is why it is so important for us to elect the right people that will fight for our rights. I am sure you have heard the saying, its better to have a gun and not need it than to need it and not have it. Or, I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. We just want the right to protect ourselves and our familys. I dont think thats too much to ask.
  10. Juker

Juker New Member

There are plenty of stories, of course, of gun accidents and accidental discharges. These should serve only to strengthen our resolve to know our guns, know who we're shooting with, refine our skills, and to ALWAYS be aware of our guns - its location, its condition, whether it's loaded, etc.

I generally look at gun accident stories with an "Oh, well..." attitude, because I've been in quite a few car accidents and that doesn't stop me from driving. I was in a pileup 30 years ago where three folks got killed and two others got arrested, and I've never had a civilian gun incident with those statistics.

Here's another way to look at it - not having a gun won't prevent someone from getting shot.
  11. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

Speaking of car accidents being worse: Florida Highway Pile Up Kills 10 Near Gainesville, Florida

http://www.florida-injury-attorneys-blog.com/2012/01/florida-highway-pile-up-kills.html
  12. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Loaded up some .45-70, 525g boolit, ahead of about 80-85g compressed FFG that kicked the snot out of me...:D..Took over a month for the bruising to go away...
  13. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Had presence of a gun prevent a bad situation once. My son and I had been roaming around our land where i always carry a sidearm. Had a ruger Superblackhawk in a holster. Got back to shop and i was tinkering with a tractor still wearing Ruger. Had a fellow show up who I did not recognise. Turned out he mistakenly thought my son was having an affair with his wife and had come fifty miles to whip him. He stood around for a few minutes and left. Told someone later that he figured he would never leave alive if he started something. He later found out who the real culprit was.
  14. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

let me see...saved me from 1 attacking Pit Bull...dog died...lead piosioning...1 black bear..was hunting squirrel...22 rifle, .454 revolver..never did find that .22, searched for 2 hours too!...bear died...i had to change my undies, socks,shoes and pants..good thing there was a creek near!! you know that waters cold in Febuary??

oh ya, 1 would be mugger at a truck stop in a that that shall remain nameless..mugger lived...had 9 .22 in him though..if i hit all of them..bet i missed some though..PURE ADRENALIN HIGH! only shot at one of them but there were 4 all together..other 3 split at second shot..I split after clip was empty...
  15. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I had a young fella that was being chased by a BUNCH of policemen run straight toward our door (we live Rural), and I greeted him with a 12 gauge -
    Shot over his head once, then leveled it at his belly and started squeezing the trigger -
    I guess he saw I was serious, because he turned and ran the other way.

When the police arrived a couple minutes later and we were filling out a report on the incident, they said they thought he intended to invade our home and possibly hold us hostage to keep them from getting him.

Surprise!