1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Can anyone over there tell me how to make hash browns like I used to get in diners in the US?

I guess you shred the potatoes but what then?
  2. Texman

Texman New Member

season as you like, and cook in some oil, not much,, leave them alone on the first side till toasty and then flip the whole thing. I like some onion and chopped bell pepper in mine.. That close?
  3. Texman has it right, Tranter. Shred the potatoes, as you said, and cook them as Texman suggests. I prefer to use shortening rather than vegetable oil, and I like to add salt and pepper; how much is a matter of taste. Also, an iron skillet or a flat grill works best for hash browns.
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I like a little garlic along with a little hint of onion. My preferred cooking oil is REAL Butter and an old, over 100 years, iron skillet. I also prefer them crispy. :)
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Potatoes have a lot of water in them. If you want them to brown up really nice, then squeeze some of that water out of them, after you shred them, and before you put them in that pan.
  6. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

If you want just like the ones from the American resturaunts pre-cook (bake or boil) the potatoes and let them cool prior to shredding them.

After shredding them up cook tham as Texman posted earlier, "Season as you like, and cook in some oil, not much,, leave them alone on the first side till toasty and then flip the whole thing. I like some onion and chopped bell pepper in mine.. That close?"
  7. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    That's the way we do it, and i use my cast iron bacon press to brown more surface area.
  8. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

I am gona stray just a bit, sorry. When we go to the ranch in tx it seems that we cook with a bit more love sometimes. So speaking of hash browns, this is something we guy's make evertime we are in tx.

Chopped russet potatoes (cant tell you how much but a healthy amt) let it sit out and drain some of the moisture.

chopped bell pepper (how much again depends)

onions chopped up

In a very large pan, fry it up with olive oil and heavy amount of "Fiesta" brand fajita seasoning. Cook until potatoes are glazed and tender. Cover and set aside

in another pan take breakfast sausage and fry it down and mix it up like ground taco meat. drain fat and set aside.

In another pan scramble a bunch of eggs. set aside.

heat tortillas, add a bit of everthing stated above with some grated cheeze, and picante sauce.

get ya ready for that morning hunt.
  9. 45nut

45nut New Member

Get ya ready for that morning POOP :eek: you mean.

We usually have breakfast tacos after the morning hunt for safety reasons!!
    Last edited: May 4, 2009
  10. Angryisme

Angryisme New Member

Here's how I made home made hash browns.
    We had had a dinner that I baked potatoes to go with the meal.
    Beins how I always make too much... purposefully..
    That way there's left overs and parts for new meals.
    That said. After having refrigerated the already baked potatoes, they are more firm to slice and chop how you like.
    Next melt butter ina frying pan and add the potatoe bits. Frying and browning, crisping slightly and I have added chopped onion and/or onion powder from a shaker. Like McCormick spices or Classic Spice.
    Makes for a super quick and damn good hash brown.
    I have also used real onion, peppers, sometimes eggs too.
    But on an early morning when I don't feel like going the nine yards.
    The wife and kids just love the ones made with the onion stuffs from those shakers.
    Quick, Easy!
    Tasty
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
  11. Angryisme

Angryisme New Member

I never add salt or pepper to anything til it's on the plate!
    I believe everyones preferences on those two differ.
  12. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Melt butter in Iron skillet, shred preboiled and cooked potatoe into butter. More butter on top. Sprinkle salt, black pepper, cayenne and paprika on top. Sometimes add Mexine chilly seasoning. Turn when golden brown remove and serve when brown on othe side. Can get pretty spicy. My wife fusses at me sometimes especialy if I season top and botom.
  13. doug66

doug66 New Member

More butter on top, oh yeah. That is how my granddad did it. Except he cooked them in bacon grease.
  14. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

the guys have it down, but here is how i do it
    peel and warsh the potatoes
    shred them
    dice onions
    bell pepper if desired.
    ad salt and pepper to taste
    touch of parsley
    fry in shortning or for flavor, butter, on one side till getting crispy, then flip and fry the other side
    sometimes i sprinkle shredded cheese on it after the first side is done

personally i like fried potatoes....
    peel and warsh potatoes.
    slice about 1/8 inch
    slice onion
    bell pepper if desired
    cook in shortning over medium heat, with a lid if available, until potatoes are done, and maybe just a few are getting crispy but mostly still soft. you have to stir often
    pepper and salt to taste...

dern them is tasty
  15. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Fry em! In grease! Turn em when they get a little brown! Season to taste! Done hash browns!
  16. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Yep, prebaking them is the key to GREAT hashbrowns. I used to work in a very small breakfast joing that catered to the USPS employees; we were only a couple blocks away. Had to keep those folks Happy !! We would bake the taters at 200 for about 2 hrs during the morning, then allow to cool in the oven, then transfer to the reefer overnight and then shred the next morning. Perfectly crispy and tasty hashbrowns every time. Only flip once and don't mess with'em while they're cooking.

I enjoy taking left over baked potatoes and steak, cubing them both up and tossing in the frypan for breakfast. Once the taters are browned, I drop an egg on top of it all with some cheddar. I usually put some chopped onion and pepper in with the taters also.

For some reason........ I"m getting quite hungry ;)
  17. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  18. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Ok what I dont get is if I bake them, they will be loose inside, almost like a powder, how am I going to shred them? Also I guess I have to bake them the previous night, or get up really early?

The Mrs is off for a month tomorrow, so I am in charge of cooking. Also good news for Mcds, BK and KFC.
  19. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Here's what you do Martin.
    You rub butter on the potato, wrap it in tin foil and bake for about an hour at 350 deg. Fahrenheit. Put in the fridge until cooled. Now you're ready to grate and fry, or slice and fry. Bacon fat or butter is the preferred way.
  20. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

sounds pretty tasty that way carver, i aint ever had'm with sausage mixed in, i'll see if i can get the wife to give some of that a try though