1. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Yep, prebaking them is the key to GREAT hashbrowns. I used to work in a very small breakfast joing that catered to the USPS employees; we were only a couple blocks away. Had to keep those folks Happy !! We would bake the taters at 200 for about 2 hrs during the morning, then allow to cool in the oven, then transfer to the reefer overnight and then shred the next morning. Perfectly crispy and tasty hashbrowns every time. Only flip once and don't mess with'em while they're cooking.

I enjoy taking left over baked potatoes and steak, cubing them both up and tossing in the frypan for breakfast. Once the taters are browned, I drop an egg on top of it all with some cheddar. I usually put some chopped onion and pepper in with the taters also.

For some reason........ I"m getting quite hungry ;)
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Ok what I dont get is if I bake them, they will be loose inside, almost like a powder, how am I going to shred them? Also I guess I have to bake them the previous night, or get up really early?

The Mrs is off for a month tomorrow, so I am in charge of cooking. Also good news for Mcds, BK and KFC.
  4. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Here's what you do Martin.
    You rub butter on the potato, wrap it in tin foil and bake for about an hour at 350 deg. Fahrenheit. Put in the fridge until cooled. Now you're ready to grate and fry, or slice and fry. Bacon fat or butter is the preferred way.
  5. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

sounds pretty tasty that way carver, i aint ever had'm with sausage mixed in, i'll see if i can get the wife to give some of that a try though
  6. kingchip

kingchip New Member

Guys, Guys, does anyone use spice? Bottom line is, it doesn't matter how you do it, as long as it gets done. I don't par-boil, but it works either way. Gotta use cast iron, and I think bacon grease or at least lard is best, but does anyone but me put peppers in? Slice up a serrano or two along with onions, bell peppers, a clove or two of garlic, and you got a meal.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009