Hatfield McCoy 1894 W.C.F.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Scamp123, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Scamp123

Scamp123 New Member

I have serial no. 844032. It was passed to me from my father-n-law. His grandfather gave it to him. They are from Pikeville, Ky. I have a picture with his grandfather and the gun. Caption reads used by Anse Hatfield, in the feud. R.T. Smith, in the photo, was married to Vicie, a relative of Frank Phillips. I understand Frank would stay at Vicie and R.T.'s house some. I recently got the photo and had never paid it much thought. On the biography channel, documentary, not the Cosner movie. Anse is holding a model 1894. Histoy wise, does this gun become more valuable? I am trying to find out, thru my wife's family, how it would have passed from Anse to Frank Phillips. I would not be interested in selling, plan to keep it in the family. Unless I could make a dent in my kids college that is.
  2. H-D

H-D Active Member

I wonder how Anse used an 1894 Winchester manufactured in 1919 before the feud ended in 1891 ? He would have been 79 when that gun was manufactured , he died at 81.
  3. Scamp123

Scamp123 New Member

I was surprised to see the picture on Anse with an 1894 on his shoulder. I decided to find out from the family, how it came into their hands. Would of gun owned by Frank or Anse change the value? Hard to prove, I'm sure?
  4. RJay

RJay Active Member

With out documented , solid proof, irrefutable, it is just a Model 94 and would be valued as such. Just for information, has nothing to do with your rifle, over the years I have seen a number of Hatfield and McCoy guns, all of which were " I was told ". If all of these guns were original, between the two familiys , they would have had enought guns to fight WWII
  5. Scamp123

Scamp123 New Member

Thats funny, Thanks for your info.
  6. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

They are correct. Proving it is everything and has to be "air tight" Only way to prove a feud gun would be to find a decent picture of one of them holding the gun with some kind of damage or other markings that can be seen on the picture and current gun. Other than that, it is hard enough to document the truth about what started the feud let alone proving actual guns used etc. Nice gun though!!
  7. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Not funny. Anybody can say anything they want to about a gun. You've already been sold a bill of goods about it being used in the feud. The facts make it impossible. That alone makes it that much more doubtful Anse ever laid eyes on it, much less owned it. Irrefutable proof has to be provided or it's just another 94.
  8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I believe this is the pic you're referring to. The rifle is an 1873 Winchester.

[​IMG]
  9. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

For what it is worth (and to set the record straight), Winchester Model 1894 serial number 844032 was manufactured in March of 1917.

Bert
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  10. Scamp123

Scamp123 New Member

Not this picture. There is one of Anse only, he has a model 1894 across his shoulder, goes behind his head and over other shoulder. The picture had a yellow tint. He looks old in the photo, I would be afraid to guess, I don't know his age in 1894... for that matter. I'm sure the gun came from Frank Phillips, couldn't prove it no doubt. My wife remembers her great grand father well, he lived to be 103. Not saying this gun is the one in the picture on tv, just a model 1894. My question has been answered, it just got me interested. I'm trying to find out from the family, why coming from Frank Phillips they say it belonged to Anse. That wouldn't make any sense would it?
  11. Scamp123

Scamp123 New Member

Thanks for the date Bert, I gained two years, earlier that is.
  12. Scamp123

Scamp123 New Member

wasn't sold anything, other than whatever the newspaper cost my aunt and everyone else who read it. The picture in the paper,(not saying true.. says Owned by Anse used in the feud). The gun was a gift, nothing purchased there either.
    Thanks
  13. Scamp123

Scamp123 New Member

Hawg, the photo is at 1 hr 17 min. 42 seconds into the show.(Greatest Feud:Hatfields &McCoys). The picture you posted was from the same show? Sorry I can't move it from my tv dvr to here. Do you think that is a 1894 he is holding? The bolster at the end of the fore stock, the band on the magazine out a few inches from the muzzle? I'm sorry if my terminology for these pieces is wrong. I'll see if I can find that picture on line so you can look easily.
  14. Scamp123

Scamp123 New Member

Hawg I think the photo I am looking at is an 1873 also. Looks like a slope right above and just forward of the trigger. Photo is too washed out to see the hammer.
  15. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

1873 Winchester.

[​IMG]
  16. Scamp123

Scamp123 New Member

Bad Frank Phillips died young. Didn't see the turn of the century. If Anse ever laid eyes on it, didn't come thru him. I can only trace the gun to great grandfather so far.(photo)
    A cool old guy, tracking down people who talked to him personally about it now. Just curious to get to the bottom of it, obviously the gun isn't going anywhere. I'll try to hand it down with some documented info.
    Thanks for your time!
  17. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

This the picture?

Attached Files:

18. Scamp123

Scamp123 New Member

Yes Rocketman, the picture on the left was cropped even further on the bio. Can see something in his right hand. Right picture for sure, you nailed it... that is a 1873 he is holding?
  19. Scamp123

Scamp123 New Member

The man on Anse's left I recognize, he died in the feud, so would be pre-model 1894. Great picture! You guys are good!
  20. RJay

RJay Active Member

Zooming it up, it looks as if he is holding a holstered revolver, you can see the handle to the rear of his hand. , the white circle background, don't have the foggiest.