Hats Off!

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Admin, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Admin

Admin Active Member Staff Member

Weasel87FIS
    (6/2/02 6:28:09 am)
    Hats Off!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've been lurking in the background around here for the past couple of days, but I find it's time to say Thank You for sharing your memories and stories. I could only imagine what it was like, but I find the authors and stories riveting and thought provoking.

My father was in the Navy on the carrier Bonnie Dick (Bon Homme Richard) off the coast of VN about 64 or 65. After he got out, he joined the Air Force and was at Bien Hoa <sp> around '67 driving a fuel truck and refuelling aircraft.

His brother (my uncle) was in the Marines in Viet Nam about '67 also. I'll have to let him know about this board since he doesn't seem too comfortable talking about his experiences. From what I've seen, this could be a good forum to let him open up a little.

I served in the Air Force from 86-90 as a Phantom Phixer/Weasel Keeper on the mighty F-4G Wild Weasels. The aircraft I worked on saw action both in SEA (as an F-4E) and in Desert Storm (as a converted F-4G) although I didn't.

My hat's off to all of you and a salute. Thank you.

**Don't mind my signature, I'm a "Col" in a virtual flight squadron that flies combat flight sims online, but in reality I was a Ssgt**

-slinking back into the shadows-

"Cave Putorium!"
    Col. Weasel 87FIS

Fort Wayne, Indiana

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/2/02 9:58:45 am)
    Re: Hats Off!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome Aboard Weasel. Hope to see you around the board now and again and please feel free to jump on the bandwagon anytime you feel the need. Next time you speak with your father or uncle you tell them ole' Six said "Welcome Home" and pass the word for them to stop in anytime here. You have a great day sir ... Take care ... Stay safe ... And don't be a stranger round these parts. Six Out!

Semper Fi!

"What more can I say ..... I was at the wrong place at the wrong time"

Tac401
    Administrator
    (6/2/02 1:12:16 pm)

Welcome Aboard Weasel87FIS!

Join in whenever you like and feel free to do so in
    any of our forums!:D
    Tac

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/2/02 2:06:46 pm)
    Hey Weasel! Former Hoosier here myself. Born and raised in Hammond area until I moved this-a-way bout 13 years ago. Sure don't envy ya during those winter storms up your way. My kids still reside in the South Bend area as well. By the way .... where does one find that "hometown temperature" banner you have in your post. Thanks for your help and take care! Six Out!

"What more can I say ..... I was at the wrong place at the wrong time"

Weasel87FIS
    (6/2/02 4:32:04 pm)
    Thanks for the welcome folks!

Yes the F-4 burners were a sound I'll never forget (huh?). Being on the flightline during an exercise right next to the active runway when multiple Phantoms took off was bone rattling to say the least.

I know of Hammond and I'm glad I live further to the east so I don't catch as much of the lake effect snow during the winter...hehe. I was born and raised in Rochester (south of South Bend) before I moved here after the AF.

The weather gizmo can be found at www.wunderground.com . Scroll down about half way through the page and see the link for adding gizmo to your web page (not add to desktop). Choose the one you like and it has the html code to add it in your sig.

Have a great day!
    "Cave Putorium!"
    Col. Weasel 87FIS

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/8/02 5:11:28 pm)
    WELCOME!!

I've been away the past week or so, I didn't get the chance to give ya my own hello!!! So.... HELLO!! (LOL)

This is a great board with a lot of great people.... I hope you enjoy yourself here... and I hope your dad and uncle get the chance to stop in.

Please pass along a much overdue and needed... WELCOME HOME for me :)

Always Faithful

Firestorm Productions
    (9/4/02 2:52:37 pm)
    Col. Weasel 87FIS! Where did you serve from 86-90?

I was a Weasel Keeper for only one year (89-90), but it was a great year out in the High Desert. I was in the 562nd TFTS (blue AMU) on "Bad Attitude" 69-0258.

I know crew Apache Longbows for the MO Nat'l Guard. It's been a long strange trip...

Psycho!
    Psycho's Asylum
    FIRESTORM! Newsletter

Weasel87FIS
    (9/6/02 6:23:24 am)
    Hey there fellow Weasel!

As stated before I'm not a real life Col, I only play one in a virtual flight sim squadron. ;)

I was stationed at George AFB from 86 to 90, and when you were there I was a Sgt assigned to the 561 AGS. Flight line Weasel Keeper on F-4G 69-7207.

I went back to George to look around in Jan of 01...the base is a ghost town now except for the flightline, a truck driving school, and a couple small factories operating there. :(

I also did a tour with the IN ANG and crewed F-4Es and then F-16Cs. I'm currently working maintenance on SAAB 340s for US Airways Express.
    "Cave Putorium!"
    Col. Weasel 87FIS
    WW Society #2485

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Edited by: Weasel87FIS at: 9/6/02 7:26:42 am

Firestorm Productions
    (9/6/02 8:45:30 am)
    Cool! I take it you went and got your A&P and all that jazz. I couldn't see the transition from Fighters to Airliners. So I got into computers. That's ok though. My friend works for Delta in D.C. He's a hanger dog now, worked his way up the ladder I guess. I need the rush of exhaust and the smell of JP-4 so I never got into it on the outside. I have to work for a private company with smaller jets...like Leer. :D

I was originally a "16" mechanic in Phase Dock in Spain. BORING!

I miss my jet from George. Is that strange? It's a QF-4G drone now at DM. Sad end to an awesome fighter. 561st was Yellow AMU, F-4E's, right?

Take care bro!

Psycho!
    Phantom Phixer/Apache Keeper

Weasel87FIS
    (9/8/02 5:25:50 am)
    561TFS (Yellow Section) were Es and Gs. They were the front line Weasels and went to the Storm. The F-4G I worked on, I've been told that it was converted to a drone and is currently a new reef in the ocean off of Tyndal. Used for live firing practice...but in her 30 years in service, only an American could bring her down.
    "Cave Putorium!"
    Col. Weasel 87FIS
    WW Society #2485

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Firestorm Productions
    (9/10/02 3:22:15 pm)
    Weasel. Here's some neat info on your ACFT.

Quote:
    7207 (c/n 3862) returned to USAF 6/1973. Modified to F-4G. Flew 62 missions in Desert Storm. To AMARC as FP0971 9/17/1997. To Tyndall AFB as QF-4G AF172 6/8/1998.

Here's on on 69-7202. I think you'll see the difference.

Quote:
    7202 (c/n 3855) returned to USAF 11/72. Modified to F-4G. To AMARC as FP1026. To Tyndall AFB as QF-4G AF146 Dec 17, 1996. Expended as drone Jul 12, 1998.

Yours may still be at Tyndell, or moved back to the boneyard. Maybe it was just "dumped" out there.

Here's mine. :(

Quote:
    0258 (F-4G) to AMARC as FP1002 Dec 7, 1995. To TFSI as QF-4G AF185 Mar 10, 1998.

Not much to it. Doesn't even say if it went to Desert Storm. Thought it did, could be wrong.

Take care!

Here's the website home.att.net/~jbaugher/usafserials.html

Psycho!

Weasel87FIS
    (9/11/02 10:03:35 pm)
    I wish she was still at Tyndall or the bone yard, but I'm a member of the Society Of Wild Weasels ( wildweasels.org/ ) and have had two confirmations that it was indeed shot down over the ocean near Tyndall for practice. :(
    "Cave Putorium!"
    Col. Weasel 87FIS
    WW Society #2485

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Edited by: Weasel87FIS at: 9/11/02 11:05:12 pm

Firestorm Productions
    (9/12/02 12:34:18 pm)
    Sorry to hear that Weasel!

She's still flying...in your heart... :D
    Psycho!