Have others bought a Mini 30, because Garand ammo costs more?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Laufer, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Laufer

Laufer New Member

Bought my 30 two years ago, and its ammo was .20/round.
    Being still a middle-aged gun novice, am embarrassed to bring this up, as my Mini is lots of fun, but a decent Garand and its ammo might not have cost much more.

Was not interested in reloading until last fall, to have a future supply of ammo for the Lee-Enfields. Also learned recently that the CMP's ammo is at a good price plus reloadable, but don't know how many times with lighter powder loads and bullets.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  2. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

My mini-30 is chambered in 7,62X39. The Garand shoots 30-06. Hard to find cheap 30-06 anymore. 7.62X39 was pretty hard to find just a few months ago and was expensive. Finding the prices are coming down some.
  3. Laufer

Laufer New Member

Yes-the scalpers must have panicked and unloaded many tons of x39, while others finally realized how our presidential 'leader' has wasted most of his political capitol. Just one guy in Keene, NH had about 70,000 rds. of Russian x39 listed last fall or summer on 'GB'. I saw his ads via a gun site link.

Anyway, my "gun guru" who retired from a military rifle team told me that reloading 30-06 (from the CMP etc) would be easier than from a G-3, and he had the impression that the brass is not as beat up as .308 brass from the semi-auto rifles.

I've read many comments about the violent extraction process from G-3s, along with the M-1A1 and FN FALs. Am also familiar with complaints about many Century CETMEs etc via seven gun websites, so let's not waste any time on that topic.

Is it generally accepted that brass ejected from Garands is not as banged-up and can be reloaded more times, even by a beginner with very simple equipment?

To clarify, my first reloading began about a month ago, and only for .303 'British', using Prvi brass.
    The only objective is economics, as my targets are bricks and plastic jugs, quite frankly.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  4. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

I bought my Mini-30 back in 98' as a happy divorce gift to me....;).... & started reloading for it for a couple of reasons. One - was in the remote chance Y2K turned out to be a real issue. My 2nd X-wife was a bank Mgr. & thought the sky was going to fall on Jan. 1st, 2000. :rolleyes:

Of course.... nothing ever happened, but thanks to her paranoia - I wound up having 20k primers poked back while others were scrambling around to find a few hundred. :D

The other plus to reloading for the Mini, is the better accuracy. I own a 760 Remmy carbine in 30-06 & reload for it as well so the cost of 06 ammo is really a non-issue.

I've never been in the market for a Garand, but would snatch 1 up in a second if I had the dough & the right deal came my way. ;)

SR
  5. Laufer

Laufer New Member

Thanks for the good info.