Have you been stopped w/CCW?

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by RunningOnMT, Jan 9, 2009.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

A comment on another thread prompts this question. If you have ever been stopped by the police while carrying a legally licensed CC weapon , what has been your experience? How were you treated? What did you do as the officer approached to let him/her know you were armed?
  2. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I have never been stopped or addressed by a police officer while carrying but I can tell you the way I believe that most of them would like to be notified (just an opinion). I would wait until they are at my window and then tell them that I am a concealed weapons permit holder who is currently armed. Then, wait for the officer to make the next request.

Never, ever, under any circumstances get out of the vehicle (unless requested to do so), fumble for your wallet or your glove box, concealed weapon, keys or anything as the officer approaches your vehicle. The ideal situation would be that when you are first stopped, you roll down your window (front and back, especially if they're tinted), turn off the vehicle, lay your keys on the dash and show both of your hands on the left side of the steering wheel. This makes an officer's sense of safety MUCH higher and decreases the likelihood that you will be given a hard time. At least that's that way I was taught by police officers back when I thought I wanted to be one. :)

This tactic of telling the officer first would also apply in the event you live in a state where carry in your vehicle is allowed. Officers do not like surprises! :eek:
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

That seems like pretty sound advice and pretty consistent with what we were taught in CCW class. My instructor said don't be surprised if you get your handgun back unloaded and field stripped. Just wondered how this approach is received by officers in actual circumstances.
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i've been stopped and did not volunteer any information. i was never asked to exit the car. i did nothing until approched by the officer who asked me for license, proof of insurence . had i been asked to step out of the car i would of informed the officer i was carrying a gun. being a old fart helps i think . now had i been a backward hat wearing hip hop type of guy i might been asked if there was anything in the car that the officer needed to worry about and asked if i minded a search.
  5. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

You must believe in living dangerously. I prefer to keep my face off of the pavement.:D
  6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

avoids alot of bs. had i volenteered the information the 1000 questions would of started.there are more than few copper that feel as if one should not have the right to carry. why volunteer anything to anyone is my motto. if asked... be truthful, but never volunteer lol i learned that while in the employ of my uncle sam
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Once, I was pulled over for speeding by a TX State Trouper. I exited the car with my drivers license and CCW in hand, between the two cars and off to safe side. When the officer looked at my ID, he asked if I was carring, and I told him that I was. He then wanted to know why I was over the speed limit, and I explained that we were a little lost, and looking for an alternet route. We had been looking at a map, and that because of that I had just missed the lower speed limit sign. He informed me that the road I wanted was just behind us, and he held traffic for us so we could make a U turn, and we were on our way. No ticket, and a very pleasurable experience with a knowledge man.
  8. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

oscarmayer, in most states you're required to inform LEOs if you're carrying concealed when addressed by them. Acting appropriately helps your chances of having a pleasant experience... After all, as I was explained, a cop would rather know that you have been thoroughly background checked than to have to wonder. A CWP shows that you have some level of respect for the law. In SC, you used to have to announce that you were a CWP holder when stopped even if you weren't carrying. The purpose of the law *supposedly* was to relieve the police officer that may have stopped you at 3:00 AM on a back road by the fact that you had a clean background. The law was changed as people said they felt it unfair.
  9. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

glad i dont live in a state with those requirements. i happen to live in a state that doesn't allow ccw.however there are exceptions, and "special permiting" . which allows me to "carry" . and my permit does not require me to volunteer information. but again i stress if asked or if asked to step out of the car i would inform the officer there was a gun in the car.
  10. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I have been.
    After the officer approached my window and BEFORE I began looking for all of the requested documents, I informed him of my situation. He thanked me, and I proceded as he directed.
    No big deal.
  11. 45nut

45nut Active Member

I have been stopped more than once. I was told in class to give my CCL with my drivers license and my insurance. All they've ever done was to ask if I was carrying and where the gun was located. I have only told them about one gun. I have never told them about the back-up in my little carry bag.

I don't reach around for my information until asked even if I meet the officer at the back of my truck. I wait for him to approach and ask for my information, then I reach into my pocket and give him my DL and CCL.

One time I met the officer at the back of my truck, he again asked where my gun was followed quickly by the admonition, "Don't reach for it" :eek: :D
  12. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

In NH there is no requirement to inform a LEO of a CCL or if you are carrying. I haven't been stopped in many years but the NH State Police are an professional group doing a tough job that treat you with respect. I wouldn't have a problem informing them.
  13. TEXAS 1957

TEXAS 1957 Member

I have been stopped twice in the 13 years of carrying. In Texas it is required to show both your dl and ccw at the same time if you are with your weapon. Both times I had my ccw on top of the dl and the officers asked if I had my weapon with me. Neither asked where it was they just wanted to know if I had it. No hassle, just courtesy. You want polite be polite. I have a brother in LE and they have a tough enough job that we do not need to complicate it.
  14. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    I have never been stopped while carrying a handgun. I did have one curious experience several years ago when I was rear ended during my lunch break from work. There was minimal damage and probably wouldn't have reported it but I was borrowing one of my parents that day (mine was in the shop as I recall). I presented my identification and other information but said nothing about my permit since I don't carry on the job, and while the officer was writing the report he told my that he'd been informed that I was a CCW holder and asked if I had a firearm on me or in my car. I told him no and that was the end of it. The incident still sent up a red flag; somehow a list of CCW holders in my state is tied into the LE or DMV computer system. I've never followed up on this tidbit but have always been curious about it.
  15. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

There is no requirement to show the permit or inform the officer. The last time I was stopped I didn't mention it and it never came up. The CCP is in my badge case with the DL and I am sure he saw it. It was a polite and very business like conversation.

Our permits here are issued by DPS and bear the same number as the DL. Any officer making a check from his vehicle would have that information as part of the check.

I have been carrying daily since 1960, been stopped many times over the years and the subject has never come up except in one case where an officer wanted to see my gun since he was interested in buying one like it, and that was back in the mid-sixties.