Have you been stopped w/CCW?

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by RunningOnMT, Jan 9, 2009.

1. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Yep, that's why you have to be mindful of the particular state's laws. In SC, you just have to acknowledge that you're a permit holder if you're carrying at the time. It didn't use to be that way. It used to be the way you're describing for NC. :)
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Picture a grizzled old biker looking dude. Out for a putt on his hog. Leathers, but no colors. Kicks the stand out, and leans the bike over, steps off the bike and waits for the state patrol officer to approach.

Officer asks for the usual paperwork. Sees the "permit" in the wallet when DL is removed. Asks if I'm armed, gets an affirmative. Asks where it is, told him on the right hip. Says to keep hands away from it, I said OK. That was it.

He asks why I was speeding, so I told him that I would not ride behind a gravel truck that was loosing gravel. I asked him if HE would ride behind that truck. (he was riding a Harley too) he said he wouldn't. Still gave me a ticket. :mad:
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

I've had my chp for a good 14 or 15 years now. In that time I've gotten a few speeding tickets. I find it best to immed have your drivers lisc and chp together and hand it to them. Keep your hands where he can see them. Immed his nerves are calmed down. One time I had a cop actually want the gun. He took it to his car while he wrote me the ticket. Once he gave me the ticket he then gave me the gun back. Then he handed me the bullets. I thought that was cute. Had to laugh.
  4. kevinleif37

kevinleif37 New Member

i've been the officer before-worst was this one guy who was stopped at a light, i asked him if he didn't mind buckling his seat belt and he says "i can't"...asked him why not-his reply was "'cause then i won't be able to get to this" as he shows me his holstered gun...thank god i just happened to catch his badge right before the gun appeared-gave a nice scare (and nice phone conversation with his watch commander later on)
  5. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

That's what I was told in my CHP class also. In NC, we are required to inform a LEO immediately and then show our DL and CHP if asked. I've only had to disclose one time to a LEO, it wasn't a traffic stop, I was outside my vehicle, the pistol was inside my vehicle. I informed the officer that I had a pistol concealed in the vehicle and I had a valid CHP, he just shrugged and said something to the effect of, "That's cool. Don't worry about it." I will say that i know quite a few of the local county PD officers here and they all love it when citizens own firearms because it "makes their job eaiser." One of them even told me it was great that I was applying for a CHP.
  6. Shoot Em All

Shoot Em All New Member

In KY, you are suposed to put your hands on the steering wheel in plain sight, and when the LEO comes to the window, tell him you are a CCDW permit holder, and if you are armed or not, and where the gun is if you are. At that point just do what he says. If you don't disclose the permit and weapons, when he runs your DL you will be flagged as a permit holder and will have to listen to some bad mouth from the LEO, and possibly detained and searched to see if you are armed. Digging for your DL and insurance will realy make them wary of you anyway, especially if your state flags you as a permit holder from your car license.
  7. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

Kind of unrelated...pulled into the Norfolk Naval Base going back to the "boat" one night-had probably been drinking a little, and forgot about the box of factory .357 ammo sitting on the front seat. The guards freaked out and called the base police (even though they sold ammo at the base PX) and caused quite a ruccus. If I remember right I got my vehicle searched for weapons, etc.
    I haven't been stopped while carrying yet, but would probably offer my CCW with my DL and ins. card. That makes sense to me.
  8. pricedo

pricedo New Member

:DStopped by Leo in Maine for traffic related reason. Was carrying a snubnose revolver concealed in a shoulder holster at the time. Maine does not require that a permit holder declare that he/she is packing unless the specific question is asked.

Why complicate a simple traffic stop with an unecessary declaration of a LEGALLY CARRIED firearm.

If it's OK with the Maine legislature it's OK with me.

If I had been stopped in Utah, a state that requires a permit holder to declare a concealed firearm, then I would have so declared.

I hold a PA LTCF, a Utah CFP, A Maine Permit, a New Hampshire PRL.
  9. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

yea, I was pulled over while in possesion of my Keltec P11. It was around 2 am . I had the gun in a zipper pouch above the sun visor. When the officers approached I informed them that I was a ccw holder and that there was a weapon in the van. I was told to place the gun on the passenger seat and exit the van. I had been cat fishing with my brother. We had been drinking earlier. I had dropped my brother off about an hour befor being pulled over. I had just left a bar that I stopped in and had a beer and checked out who was there. I failed my field soberity test and was arrested. The officers were very polite, told me I was the most couteous DUI they ever arrested. We talked about my Keltec and the officer wanted to know what I used for a holster. Any hows, I spent the night in jail. My weapon was returned in the morning after my trip to the magistrate. Plead guilty and was sentenced to complete the mandatory 24 hr incarceration for DUI. I came in a few weekends later to serve the rest of my time. About 16hours I think.

Not a story to be proud of but a story none the less. I have since quit drinking and even cigarettes.
  10. Chris C

Chris C New Member

I have been stopped at least 5 times since I first acquired my CCW license. I pull out my drivers license, my CCW license and my insurance verification and have them ready when the officer arrives at my window. We are not allowed to leave our vehicles in my home state unless the officer requests it. I had one officer ask me to hand him my fanny pack (where I carry my Glock model 29) and he removed the weapon, removed the clip and the round in the chamber and asked me to unlock my back door. He placed the firearm on the floor behind my seat and told me not to retrieve it until after I left the scene. On another occassion, the officer asked me where the weapon was kept. Other than that, no officer has ever commented.......oh, wait, yes, one did thank me for producing my CCW license unprompted. All officers ask me to keep my hands on the steering wheel while they are present. All officers have been more than curteous concerning the situation.
  11. pricedo

pricedo New Member

It takes guts & honesty to admit it up front when you've done wrong.

I think many of us have teetered over the blood alchohol DWI limit the odd time but have been fortunate enough not to have been caught.

In the hot summer when a cold one tastes really good it only take 2 beer consumed within an hour and you're over the legal limit in most states.

You're lucky that DWI is not a felony in your state. If it was they would have pulled your permit right away.

I just hope you don't get a hassle at renewal time.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  12. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

There is another potential charge..."possesion of a firearm under disability" I'm not sure if that's a felony or not.
  13. new308handloader

new308handloader New Member

I was pulled over for speeding, by an un-marked car, in GA on Hwy 411. When the officer asked for my DL I also handed him my carry permit and told him there was a firearm in the car......his reply "Just don't point it at me and we wont have an issue" (In GA it is not required to tell the officer if you have a firearm)....he returned and handed me a warning. I really think having the permit and telling him up front that I had a firearem in the car made the difference.
  14. conan1

conan1 New Member

I was stopped by a road block once. They were looking for someone. I handed the deputy my license and carry permit. He asked me where my weapon was. I told him in the console right by me. He then waved me on my way. No problem. Was stopped by out of state trooper. No problems from any.
  15. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

This month I got my 68 Chevelle SS back from the body & paint shop & since then I've driven it lkess than an hour total. In this time I've been pulled over 5 times now. Any LEO that has been within sight has pulled me over. The stops have all been exactly the same-I stop,kill the motor, roll the window down & put my hands on the top of the wheel. I've had my proof of insurance & registration on the passenger seat ready to hand over. I've just waited till the officer has asked for the papers before saying anything. They have all 5 times just asked for papers & taken them back to their car for a couple of minutes & returned to say it was just a "routine" stop & at that point they have asked me if I was carrying because when they run the plates on any of my cars their comput states that I have a CCW. They don't seem concerned if I am carrying or not they just ask. Then in the same breath they've all told me what a nice car the Chevelle is. I've been tempted to tell them how many times I've been pulled over in that short time in that car but I've just answered what they ask politely & they've just sent me on my way.

October has made for me exactly 30 years of driving private cars & commercial trucks with nary a ticket. Knock on wood that'll continue.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009