The Firearms Forum banner

Have you used this grease on your 1911 rails?

Tags
7K views 40 replies 31 participants last post by  tjtoolbox 
#1 ·
For the last couple of years i've been using FrogLube on everything without fail. Last weekend I went to the range and after taking down my Ruger 1911 CMD I found a sticky mess. I use it sparingly so I know it wasn't over applied. I don't know if leaving the bottle out in the garage over winter might have done something to it on a molecular level but I wasn't happy.

I don't want a lubericant that leaves that kind of mess so today I got a tube of RIG +P Grease that's supose to be specifically for stainless firearms to prevent the gauling of stainless rubbing on stainless. I just got done applying it so we'll see what comes of it in the months ahead. I was just wondering if any of you have heard of it or used it, and your thoughts on it?

#3 ·
We actually gave a bunch of it away a couple of years ago.
If you follow the instructions to the letter it works fine BUT, it will build up if not cleaned and re applied.
That's why I stick to SBGO.
I received one of those containers of Frog Lube from TFF. When I got my first bottle of SBGO, I gave the frog lube away. I use SBGO on everything that needs to be lubed.
I have to admit that I never had any of those problems with the frog lube and I really liked the smell.

#4 ·
For the last couple of years i've been using FrogLube on everything without fail. Last weekend I went to the range and after taking down my Ruger 1911 CMD I found a sticky mess. I use it sparingly so I know it wasn't over applied. I don't know if leaving the bottle out in the garage over winter might have done something to it on a molecular level but I wasn't happy.

I don't want a lubericant that leaves that kind of mess so today I got a tube of RIG +P Grease that's supose to be specifically for stainless firearms to prevent the gauling of stainless rubbing on stainless. I just got done applying it so we'll see what comes of it in the months ahead. I was just wondering if any of you have heard of it or used it, and your thoughts on it?
I have 20 years experience with lubricant sales. I looked at Frog Lube and tried a sample once.

Metal to metal, slide to frame sliding friction isn't really severe if the two surfaces are fitted properly. Boundary lubrication probably never happens on a semi-auto pistol slide.
I use a small brush and good general purpose machine grease that has a base oil viscosity of 220, no moly and good rust prevention properties. I use actual grease very sparingly and not on every gun. For general lubrication I use good old Break Free.

#6 · (Edited)
I use white lithium grease on every metal to metal contact point I can reach. It takes only a pin head amount worked into the metal. The grease actually penetrates pores in the metal and stays there and a little goes a long way.

I took a piece of reinforcing steel (#4 rebar) power brushed one end to a white metal finish and left the other end untouched. Then I worked in white lithium grease on the clean end and left the other end untouched. After three years the end with the lithium grease has not rusted. It has turned a black color but there is no rust and it still feels slick to the touch. The untreated end has rusted badly as expected.

#34 ·
I use white lithium grease on every metal to metal contact point I can reach. It takes only a pin head amount worked into the metal. The grease actually penetrates pores in the metal and stays there and a little goes a long way.

I took a piece of reinforcing steel (#4 rebar) power brushed one end to a white metal finish and left the other end untouched. Then I worked in white lithium grease on the clean end and left the other end untouched. After three years the end with the lithium grease has not rusted. It has turned a black color but there is no rust and it still feels slick to the touch. The untreated end has rusted badly as expected.
I use NAPA white lithium grease on my sportbike chain. It works much better than those expensive chain lube products

#14 ·
Why would anybody put grease on a gun, unless it was bacon grease? I can just see how that would pan out in cold weather!

#31 ·
'grease' is a pretty generic term.

It all depends ont he slump, pour point and viscosity of the lube in question.

Some greases are really more like heavy oils.

NLGI 00 # grease is just a hair thicker than honey.

Some synthetic lubes have no change in pour point from 0-400 degrees

#15 ·
I tried it on a couple different semi autos and quit after noticing action stoppages, if weapon was left overnight in moderately cool temps and then fired the next day.

Temperature of 40 or so over night seemed to affect the slides, so I couldn't rely on function. Loved the idea and smell, but not that much.

#17 ·
You will like it Terry. A little goes a long way! I apply mine with a toothpick. One small drop, and spread it out.

#18 ·
As I mentioned, I only use SBGO. I bought one of those bottles with a "needle" spout on it and that is what I use. Sam always said that he uses one drop on a shaving brush, a couple of weeks ago, I found the old shaving brush that I used to use. Now, I too can say that I use one drop on a shaving brush.

My grandkids only know it as "PIG OIL" cause that is all I call it around here.

#19 ·
I spread mine around with a soft tooth brush.

#23 ·
Years ago I bought a small plastic bottle of a copper colored grease that Glock uses on its slide rails & tells you not to remove. I use it sparingly on all my semi's & never had a problem. If it's good enough for Glock perfection it should be good for everything.

Reactions: Guts3d
#24 ·
Motor oil is designed to catch, hold, and carry, contaminates to the oil filter, so they won't build up in your engine. The last time I looked none of my guns had an oil filter on them. Please, use gun oil on your fire arms. Not grease, or motor oil. I can't speak for synthetic oils, but I have to believe that they are made to do the same job as regular motor oil. JMHO, and it's worth every penny you paid for it.

#26 ·
I've just started with Frog Lube. I clean it with Hoppes #9. Then I take a heat gun to it, then I apply the Frog Lube paste. After it cools, I wipe it off. I've only used it once on an AR (not that many rounds thru it), and it seemed to be fine with no goo afterwards. Got home and repeated the above process. I've heard a lot of good about it, but now I am hearing a lot of bad here??!!??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.