1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Having a hard time IDing some old 9mm Ammo.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Mosin_Nagant_Fan, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Tried looking it up and it might be Canadian, but it might also be Chinese.:confused: All it says is 9 MM 42 on the headstamp and "might" be boxer primed. My Grandpa had about 4 of 'em with an old .38 revolver (strange, right), but I know he didn't use it in 'em because I have the revolver.;)

I've included a picture of one of 'em. The ammo looks old and I might use the bullets for any reloading experiments, the cases would be a maybe since they look pretty old.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  2. res45

res45 Member

3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

This ammo is so old it probably uses corrosive primers if it is Military ammo. 1942 was the middle of WWII.

You can salvage cases and maybe the bullets if they are not distorted from the initial crimping and the efforts to pull the bullets. But I'd dump the primers and the powder. Once you have the bullets pulled, dump the powder in the flower beds (its fertilizer, really) and throw the primed cases into a cup of oil. The oil will eventually neutralize the primers if left in there for several days. Then clean the oil out of the cases with a strong detergent. Dry the cases after shaking or blowing all the water out of them.

If all you have is four (??) why not just keep them intact. They make an interesting conversation piece.

LDBennett