Having Fun With Simple Homemade Fireworks: Project 1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bluesea112, Oct 11, 2012.

1. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I have been making fireworks for many years. Most of what I make are aerial shells like you would see at a city firework show on the Fourth of July. However, there are plenty of simple, smaller scale fireworks you can make that won't get the Federal Jackbooted Alphabet Thugs sticking their nose in your business.

This is one of my favorites. It puts out a TON of sparks and is really easy to make. If you like twirling wire sparklers, then this project will make you giddy.

Supplies Needed:

A) 6 feet of bailing wire or any small diameter wire such as picture frame wire
    B) 1 package of 0000 or 000 steel wool

Instructions:

Open package of steel wool keeping all of the individual pads together. Wrap the wire around the entire group of pads one time very tight and twist closed. Twist wire until it is as tight as you can get it to hold the steel wool pads together.
    Use a lighter or match and touch one corner of the steel wool with the flame. As soon as the flame touches the pads, begin spinning the wire over your head like a helicopter blade spins horizontal to the ground. As you spin the steel wool, it will emit a shower of sparks on the ground around you like you have never seen before.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

first it was how to nitrate rice cellulose

now i can see my 'stache getting singed again ;)

you baaad ;)
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Just dont do it in my field where all the yellow grass is. :eek:
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Charles came over last June for our early 4th of July celebration at my range in godley. He brought some of his big artillery. We lit 3 of them and caught the field on fire twice. Luckily we had a firetruck onsite as my BIL is the firechiefs oldest son. Thanks GOD for that truck. Then after all the excitement and my big ass running across the field more than i cared to chasing fire, we lit normal firewrks for another 3 hours. It was a good time and the beer tasted better than ever after those fires were out.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Oh yeah.. My favorites are still the flashbangs. Incredibly loud mofos you can shoot with a .22 and they go off. Tannerite aint got nuttn on em.
  8. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I told him he had better take the truck down to the end of the field and have it cranked up and ready. He should have listened. Next year I will get them up a little bit higher before they go off.
  9. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Yeah, those are some of my favorite as well. Theres nothing like a good thud that sucks the air out of your lungs and punches you in the stomach from 100 yards away.
  10. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

oooohhh, flashbangs. tell me more. those are my favorite

how about a night at the range with them and a mosin nagant?
  11. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

Maybe it is just me but lighting something on fire and spinning it over my head does not sound fun. Now loading a exploding shell into my 40 mm and launching it over the field on the other hand is a blast literally.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Both deafening and blinding. Your ears will ring and your eyes see purple barneys for a few minutes.
  13. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I thought fireworks were not legal and talking about using them was wrong :rolleyes:
    Mike
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

NOOOOOO not you too goofy ...

sob ...
  15. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

After all the crap I got when I posted about these I could not stop myself.
    :halo:
    Mike