Hawes .25 auto

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by holysmoke, Jan 30, 2010.

1. holysmoke

holysmoke New Member

HELP! I have a little .25 Hawes auto that I hadn't fired in 25 or so years--until recently. Just wanted to see if it would still shoot--and it did. Problem is that I had both FTE and / or FTF problems every four or five rounds.

I am hoping that a good cleaning will help solve those problems--but for the life of me I can't figure out how to "field-strip" the pistol. In additon, I have done some searching on the web and haven't had any luck finding anyone who knows how to get the little Hawes apart.

Can you give me any help at all? I would be much obliged if you could.

By the way, the markings on teh left side of the slide are: HAWES FIREARMS CO. L.A. CALIF. MADE IN GERMANY. There is also some sort of crest with the number 67 in it.

Markings on the right side of the slide are: Cal. .25 Auto
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  2. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Try the following:

1. The takedown may be a copy of the old Galesi. If so, there will be a slight notch in the left side of the slide. If you pull the slide back about 1/4 inch so that the notch in the slide lines up with the tail end of the safety, it should be possible to turn the safety all the way around so that the switch is pointing backward. At this point the takedown bolt will pop out and you know the rest.

2. If like the Reck: push in on the safety from right to left and the slide bolt will pop out.

Anyway, the key is the safety switch. It is holding the slide bolt in place. The trick is to find out what you have to do to get the safety to turn or pop out to release the slide bolt. Whatever you do, take it easy! The parts cost more than these guns are worth.

A good cleaning might do the trick. Next, try a different brand of ammo. Sometimes these little guns need a new slide spring to make them work properly.