Hawes Firearm CO Texas Marshal

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CWSmith985, Oct 24, 2011.

1. CWSmith985

CWSmith985 New Member

Hey guys, I was just handed down a gun by my dad that he recieved when he was close to my age. I am interested in the history of the company and gun more than the price really. As well as what could be done to restore some of the luster or new gun look to it. Any help is greatly appreciated, here is a few pictures. THANKS!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

In the 1950's there were a number of Westerns on the Boob tube, I believe there were up to 35 different cowboy shows on during any one week. This led to a craze for " cowboy guns ( I hate that term ).Ruger came up with the Single Six and Colt decided to leave the Single Action field so there was a void that was quickly filled. Hawes contracted with Sauer and Sohn to produce a series of Single Action called the Marshal Series. All the same gun except for the varies finishes. Because the German mark was under valued at the time they were able to undercut the American sales. The 1968 GCA and the Floating of the Mark ( the Mark went from 4 to the dollar to 1.5 over night ) put a End to Hawes in the late 60's, early 1970's. The Hawes imported guns are well thought of and are considered well made firearms. Your .22 should be built on the same frame as the larger calibers which makes it a little heavy but other wise a very good shooter. Your picture shows a gold type finish, I wonder if that is just the lighting , the Texas Marshal were all nickle ( at least the ones I am familiar with ). You might try some high quality metal polish such as Simichrome or even Fritz. You want to polish it lightly, remember it is just a plating. I will let someone else guess at the value, but I would think, once cleaned up it would go for 300 or higher. could be wrong, been wrong before.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  3. CWSmith985

CWSmith985 New Member

Thanks alot! That's exactly the type of information I was hoping to find. It's nice to know some history about the makings, as well as its history with my dad.
    The finish is nickle as you stated the lighting gave it the golden tint. Thanks again for all the info.