Hawes Firearm

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by fuzzy2333, Mar 5, 2012.

1. fuzzy2333

fuzzy2333 New Member

I inherited a Hawes Revolver made in west Germany by H Schmidt Ostheim/Rhoen. It is a 22LR, the serial # is 580351 and I was wondering if this is called The Deputy Marshal and if a 22 mag cylinder will work in it.
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Well fuzzy, don't know. Hawes imported several Marshall series that were chambered for the .22 rim fire. I believe the Deputy Marshall had a blue finish. Do you have a .22 Magnum cylinder or plan to get one. It was possible to buy a set with a convertible cylinder. If you plan on getting one be advised that they are not always a drop in fit. The ones sold in the set, were fitted at the factory, if you pick a cylinder up off Flea bay, it may or may not be a drop in fit, if the timing is off then you will have to pay a gunsmith to fit for you. They are good guns that at the time sold for a good price. You didn't ask for advise but what the hey, It it were I, I would just enjoy shooting it in 22 LR and not worry about the 22 mag part. I have several guns in .22 magnum and almost never shoot them. What ever you do, Good Luck and shoot safe.:D I just reread your post and noticed you typed Schmidt, Most of Hawes single action Marshall's series ( I through all ) were made by Sauer and Son,, is your revolver a single action ( cowboy gun, I hate that expression but it get the image across ) or a more modern type revolver with a swing out cylinder???
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  3. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Rjay, the large frame Marshal series were JP Sauer. The small frame was Herbert Schmidt.
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Thank you, that, I did not know, When I was 21, I knew, I knew every thing, it was a real downer as I grew older to discover that in fact, there was a hell of a lot I didn't know.:D However, in service, once I made First Sergeant, then once again I knew that , I knew everything.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012