hawes j.p. sauer 22 pistol need info

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rob the painter, Nov 24, 2007.

1. rob the painter

rob the painter New Member

i just picked up a hawes j.p. sauer & sohn western sixshooter ,i want to know how old it is, i have already heard they made these in 22.lr and 22 mag. but my barrel reads( .22 caliber) not lr, or mag ? also it has no firing pin so any help where to find one, serial # 844xx and the # 68 is also on the barrel other than that no other model # or anything
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Somebody might be around with an answer for you soon, but you might get a better response in the "Ask the Experts" forum, there are a lot of "experts" there that may not hang out in here in C&R much, and I'm not even sure if a JP Sauer is a C&R either...

In the meantime, for the firing pin, try http://www.e-gunparts.com/
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  3. I moved the thread for you to the "Ask the Experts" forum, Rob. Polish is correct. You are much more likely to get an answer to your question here.
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

No way it is C&R the Hawes were first imported in1973.
    The reason your barrel is marked 22 cal is that they came with both the 22 LR and the 22 Mag cyl. Most of the SA models were discontinued in 1980.
    With out a pic it's hard to tell what model you have.
    Value is $75-$125 maybe a bit more if you had both cyl.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=103
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  5. rob the painter

thank guys! also since it doesnt specify and the cylinder is plenty long to fit a 22 mag it should be safe to use mag? the guy i am buying from its about 1969-1970 does that make it a C&R? what does this mean anyway? also i live in california so does he , but he bought it about 20years ago in nevada and doesnt remember a waiting period or anything it was a legit purchase but i dont know if nevada was a just hand it over at the swapmeet type of state 20 years ago and i dont want a problem registering in my name if it is not actualy registered in his name . what will happen if its not in his name and we take it to our local gun shop(turners) and it comes back not registered to him, do they keep records that long?
  6. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

If the cyl takes the 22 Mag your ok with it to shoot the mags but not LR
    C&R over 50 years old or on the BATF collectible list. Yours is not.

I have no answer to CA gun transfer law. I live in FL where we sort just pass them around.

There are plenty of CA members here that can answer those questions.
  7. rob the painter

thanks for the info guys , any one familiar with transfering issue i may have living in california? (read 2 posts up 1st)
  8. Danny

Danny Member

Hi Rob,
    I had one of those back in the 70's and mine was a seven shot.It was nickel plated and had stag grips.It was a lot of fun to take out and fan it.JP Sauer made a bad mistake not doing like Walther did after WW2.They made a fine double action 38H which I have one of and of course the shotguns are the finest.Here in West Va if you do not buy a pistol through an FFL and just a friend you do not have to register it.If you go and register it and run an NCIC on it and find it is stolen or used in a crime they will keep it.There is more than l stolen firearm in the collection of someone here in the United States.I always make sure I get a receipt for any handgun I buy.Take Care
    Regards
    Danny:)
  9. rob the painter

thanks for all intput this site is great!
    is there any ffl dealers in california that can help me with registration question (about 3 posts up)
  10. rob the painter

o.k. i got some more info , turns out he bought new at a gun shop and did register it when he lived in nevada , he lives in california for many years now and wants to transfer to me is there going to be a problem because he never transfered it to california when he moved here? or should this pistol be registered in his name in one data base and be able to transfer to me no problem , ffl dealers please respond.