Hawes (J.P. Sauer & Sohn) help

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Hondo, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Hondo

Hondo New Member

Hey guys. My pop has a JP Sauer Hawes Montana Marshal .44 mag saa clone. It's missing the bolt/cylinder latch. Does anyone know of a place other than numrich to get this part? (numrich is sold out :/) or if it interchanges with another saa/clone? any help would be great! thanks all

Hondo
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum i am sure someone will be along to help you
  3. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I think some of the Colt P series parts will interchange and Numrich does have those parts.
  4. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

This isnt a "lock" - I dont know what they have in stock - but my usual, first, go-to place for firearms parts is Empire Gun Parts, in Danville, PA - 570-275-5482
  5. Hondo

Hondo New Member

whats not a "lock" the site you are talking about?
  6. Hondo

Hondo New Member

7. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Try Bob at http://www.gun-parts.com/singleactions/ ,and if you don't see it listed, call him.
    Hawes imported these from J.P. Sauer & Sohn, now known as Sig-Sauer. It is a Colt clone, but it was made larger for the .44 Mag cartridge, so I don't think Colt parts will work.
  8. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

The P-series Colt part would require considerable fitting to your Hawes revolver. You may also try Jack First at 605-343-9544.
  9. Hondo

Hondo New Member

thanks guys for all your help. I emailed Bob at gun-parts and im about to phone Jack. Ill let you know what i find out. also does anyone know of a good book about single actions with breakdown/re-assembly?
  10. Hondo

Hondo New Member

hey guys i have another problem. it seems that the pin that holds the hammer to the hand (the thing that moves to rotate the cylinder) is sheered off. does anyone know where i can get a replacement pin? or of a place that sells an assortment of pins?
  11. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Is that a separate pin or part of the hand? That is something that will probably need to be made and fitted.
  12. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

The pin is usually part of the hand.
    Let me take a guess here.
    Did someone try to force the hammer back, breaking the hand pivot pin, took it apart to fix, and lost the cyl stop?
    Here's a schematic of the Colt:
    http://stevespages.com/ipb-colt-saa.html
  13. Hondo

Hondo New Member

yes i believe thats exactly what happened Trap. i went to the gun parts website that you posted the link to and it doesnt show a pin in the parts list. it does however show two different hands. large and small pin and im not sure what size is the one i need. i e-mailed the company. i was going to call but i cant seem to find a number other than a fax number. Do the hammer and hand have to go back in as a single unit? the pin looks like its a separate piece that just goes through both and holds them together
  14. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

I just noticed Bob doesn't have his shop phone listed on the site anymore. I know the last time I talked to him he said the phone calls were stopping him from getting anything done.
    He's a little slow to answer emails, but he answers everyone, great old guy to deal with.
    Jack First will probably have the parts, but they're real proud of their stuff, and usually a snotty attitude to deal with. I go there when I can't find it anywhere else.
    "If" that pin is a separate part, the large one is most likely the one you need. Another source may be on the auctions, there was a guy on brandx selling them with a demilled frame.
    As a rule of thumb, the hammer and hand are inserted into the frame as a single unit when you re-assemble. A new hand will have to be fitted so the cyl is timed. The last one I had apart was more than 20yrs ago, CRS is catching up.:eek:
  15. Hondo

Hondo New Member

alright ill check it out. now i have the old hand. is it possible to just use that hand with a new pin and have the timing still be set to what it used to be? sorry for all the questions. I've not dealt much with SAA's and any bit of help is greatly appreciated. i believe the pin is separate because the broken pieces slid right out of the hammer and the hand.