Hawes Revolvers

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 26, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Tennessean38
    (2/15/02 3:36:19 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Hawes Revolvers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have inherited a pair of revolvers from my Grandfather.

They are a matched set of what I would call single-action western six shooters. I will try to describe them the best that I can.

They appear to be nickel plated with pearlized handles and the hammers and triggers appear to be gold plated.

On the left side of the barrel it says: J.P. SAUER & SOHN MADE IN WESTERN GERMANY

On the right side of the barrel it says: WESTERN MARSHALL .44 MAG. CAL.

On the right side under the cylinder it says: HAWES FIREARMS CO. LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA

I know that the guns are at least 30 years old, because I can remember my Grandfather shooting them when I was a child and I just turned 40.

The serial numbers are: 14XXX/4 and 3XXX/4

I'm sure somebody can tell me something about the guns.

Thanks for the help.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/15/02 4:29:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Hawes Revolvers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sounds to me like they were made as a special
    edition or exclusive for Hawes, haven't found
    anything on them yet but one of us maybe
    Doc should have some info on this shortly
    for you.

Welcome Aboard Tennessean38!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/15/02 4:52:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hawes Revolvers
    I do not show the "Western" model, but all others, Texas, Montana, Silver City, ect. Most are within 50.00 of each other. I`ll look further. Regards LTS

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/15/02 4:55:53 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Absolutely.

Hawes was an importer of single-action revolvers made by JP Sauer, in various models. They are of good quality and are decent shooters although they are not collected.

Your guns have been nickle- and gold-plated after the original sale, they most likely did not come that way from Hawes. Since there is minimal collector value that does not hurt and in fact may even help the value if its well done.

You are looking at about $200 - $225 apiece.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/15/02 5:55:38 pm)
    Ah, I most respectfully disagree...Doc. God I thought I`d never say that.....it feels good though.hehehehhehehe

This pistols came from the factory Nickel plated, in several calibers, including .22 plated. The triggers set these apart and could be after the fact. But if they truly are a matched pair, that to could very well be factory too........,to set matched pairs apart from others. Very little details on these to confirm or deny. My best guess is they were factory done. My old book shows them at $195.00 each, thats a 83 edition and not for matched pairs. They could be worth a little more as a pair.....BUT, as Doc says, they are not a highly sought after collector. Good sound pistol though, hope you enjoy them. Got pictures????
    Regards LTS

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/15/02 6:04:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Western Marshals were blued. Texas Marshals were nickel. None were factory with gold parts.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/15/02 6:11:58 pm)
    ....Matched Pairs, I ain`t giving up so easily. Duelin pistol talk!
    How`s about some pictures???? Brass or steel frame?? heheheh

Ok, foiled again. Doc is the man. He ain`t gonna take the bait.
    Some day, I`m gonna get ya.....maybe? Crainial gunspert Doc!

I`m watching you!!!!

Edited by: LIKTOSHOOT at: 2/15/02 8:14:17 pm

Tennessean38
    (2/16/02 10:08:36 am)
    Thanks to everyone with the information.

I loaned my camera to a friend and won't get it back until Monday. I will try to post some pics when I get it back.

My Mother's brother was the original owner of the guns. He lived in California and used them to perform in Western shows at Big Bear. My Grandfather went to visit my Uncle sometime in the early '70s and my Uncle gave them to him as a gift. My Grandfather brought them home and would shoot them occasionly.. When he passed away in 1974, they were given to my mother. She put them away and they stayed packed up until a 2 weeks ago when she brought them to me.

Although they have been used quite a bit, they appear to be in really good shape. I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet, but I can't wait to try them.

Again, Thanks for the information and I welcome any additional insight anyone might have on the guns.