Hawes Western Marshal 22 Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by digicap, May 9, 2009.

1. digicap

digicap New Member

Hello,

I just dug up a gun from my grandfather and wonder if you wouldn't mind giving me an estimate of its worth.

It's from Hawes Firearms Company, an Original, Full-Size Western Marshal single-action six-shooter revolver. I have the original box which also contains an additional "cartridge" (please forgive my lack of gun lingo...it's the round piece where you place the bullets!).

Other details - Model number: 623BC; Caliber: .22 combo; Barrel: 5-1/2"; Blue Chrome, Model name: Montana Marshal.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

Hawes Montana Marshall introduced in 1968 discontinued in 1980 excellant cond.$200 very Good cond.$135. taken from gun digest modern gun vallues 11th edition.

the 30th edition of the blue book lumps all the Hawes single action revolvers together but values them between $395 and $200. it has been my experence that the Hawes single action being manufactured by Sauer & Sons actually sell for at least $50 more than the blue book price.

the other pricing guide i have standard catalog of firearms list them well below the actual price they sell for.

i once owned a Hawes town marshall (short barrel single action) and when ever i remember it (like now) i wish i had never sold it even though i got twice as much as i paid for it.
    bill
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Your gun has two "cylinders." One is for .22 long rifle cartridges, the other is for .22 magnum.
  4. iwannasee

iwannasee New Member

I have one with some holster wear. Paid $100 out the door with holster.

[​IMG]
  5. tinner45

tinner45 New Member

I have a Hawes deputy Marshal. I can't remember what I paid for it. I bought it in the mid to late 60's. Has lots of wear. Shot LR and mags. . Now the barrel is lose at the reciever and barrel. I think it has a 41/2in. barrel.Haven't shot it years. Years ago I could have sold it for 3 times what I paid But I don't sell my guns.
    tinner45
  6. lococherokee

lococherokee New Member

i have only owned semi auto guns and i have never owned a 22. i'm not familiar with these guns or 22 calibers but i just picked a nice one up on a trade and i have been trying to learn all i can about them. i was only given the one cylinder that was in the gun. how can i tell what cylinder it is whether or not it's a magnum or a long rifle? there are no markings on the cylinder for me to identify which cylinder it is. i may sound like an idiot but i just don't know 22 calibers or revolvers but i'm learning. i want to learn what i have before i buy ammo for it and try and shoot it. any advise? thanks.
  7. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I believe you have a standard .22 long rifle cylinder installed. The .22 magnum cylinder is marked as such.Your gun should fire .22 S,L,and LR interchangeably.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The easiest way that I know of to tell which it is, on an unmarked 22 revolver, is to remove the cylinder and take it (just the cylinder) to your local gun shop. Tell the guy behind the counter that you would like to attempt to put a 22 magnum in the cylinder. If one goes in, then it's a magnum cylinder. If it won't fit, it's a long rifle cylinder.

Can't get much easier than that.

And whichever it turns out to be, buy a box of that ammo, for their help.