Hawes Western SixShooter 22 to 45 conversion

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by havegun, Sep 24, 2009.

1. havegun

havegun New Member

I have a Western Sixshooter , imported by Hawes, Mfg in Germany by JP Sauer. I do not have a mag cylinder. My question is about converting the barrel and cylinder to 45 caliber. It looks like the barrel is threaded, and cylinder is available.

I dont know if it is doable. Does any one know the answer or heard of it being done.

Also what is differrence between frames small vs large, and what frame do i have.

It is shiny black gun with plastic Bone grips.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I dont think you can perform that big of a conversion on a .22 frame size. the difference in a .22 cal single action sixgun and a .45 cal single action sixgun is about a pound of steel. The .22 cal frames are downscaled so the gun isnt extremely heavy due to the small chambers and bore, plus the .22 cartridge doesnt stress the gun enoughto need 4 lbs of steel around it. If someone were willing to take on the task, Id be willing to bet youd have to drill out the frame and rethread it for the new barrel (it will be bigger) and you would have to relieve the frame around the cylinder to acommodate a cylinder that is almost double in diameter. My guess is you would end up with a gun that wouldnt be safe to fire even the lowest power loads in. So in short, leave the .22 alone and go buy a Vaquero chambered in .45 colt...
  3. muddober

muddober Active Member

For the most part I agree with JLA and though I am not familiar with your particular gun some single actions even in 22 were built on large frames and weighed a ton. If I am not mistaken I think the early Great Westerns were that way. The biggest challenge that I could see assuming you had a large frame would be the firing pin placement trying to convert a rimfire everything to center fire. I think JLA's suggestion of a Ruger Vaquero is by far your best bet.

Ron
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I agree that it would be more trouble and cost more than any new Ruger. In fact it would probable cost more than twice that amount in reworking the hammer and lock work. { remember it timed for a 22 not the much larger 45}. There are somethings that after a 6 pack seem like a wonderful ideal, but in the cold harsh reality of day light the truth emerges. It was not a expensive firearm to start with, a decent firearm but not overly expensive.:)
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  5. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

The local gun shop has one of each, a 22 and a 44 and they are very different.
  6. mlbalcom

mlbalcom New Member

I have a Hawes/J.P. Sauer six shooter that used to be a 44-40. It was sleeved down to a .22 caliber because it was too small of a frame I was told. I am looking for the magnum cylinder that will fit this gun. A local gunsmith said I should not re-bore back to original 44. This gun is a Texas Marshall model and is nickel plated with pearl grips. It is beautiful. The gunsmith did show different cylinders that were made but not always available. Good Luck.
  7. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The Hawes J P Sauer Marshall series came in two frame sizes. Large frame was chambered in 22LR/22Mag, 9MM, 45ACP and 45 Colt, 357 and 44 Mag and 44-40. The small frame was chambered in 22LR/22 Magnum. I don't under stand your comment about the large frame being too light for 44-40. I had one in 44 Magnum that had no issues. The large frame was as large and as heavy as the Colt or Ruger.
  8. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

mlbalcom-
    Your gun was never a 44-40, unless it is so marked on the barrel.