Hawg huntin with handguns

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

Alphamale
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (8/1/01 9:17:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Hawg huntin with handguns
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you use, or would you use?

For me, a Ruger Blackhawk .357 with the GA 158gr +P Gold Dot or Glock 21 with 6" 45 super bbl. That would be the smallest I'd use. What about yall?
    To run from trouble is foolish, to look for it... even more so

LIKTOSHOOT
    (8/1/01 9:23:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hawg huntin with handguns
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Don`t come to Texas........
    "am not" R2

Alphamale
    (8/1/01 9:30:03 pm)
    What size are yall's pigs? We have some decent sized ones running around in the lower part of the state. The only pigs I've seen in Texas were the Javalinas. Cute little things.

AntiqueDr
    (8/1/01 9:38:32 pm)
    Javelina aint no pig, its a varmint.

Up in East Texas we have a particularly nasty type of wild hog... Domestic pigs have been allowed to run wild for years and they have cross bred with Russian boar introduced to Texas years ago. The result is an animal that has near the size of a domestic boar that is constantly pissed off.

Minimum handgun is a Super Blackhawk with 300gr hard cast bullets. I prefer a T/C .444 Marlin as primary with the Super B as backup.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Alphamale
    (8/1/01 9:52:10 pm)
    We have the Russian/Russian mixed, although I'm not sure what they're mixed with. You can hunt them year round, there's a lot of outfitters that have guided hunts so that you can hunt during the summer months instead of going into withdrawl waiting for dear season.

AntiqueDr
    (8/1/01 10:08:27 pm)
    Last one I got was a collaborative effort with my hunting bud. I had made a short tree stand right at 60 yds out from a known rooting spot. Just at sunup I had three hogs milling around and got a glint off of tusks on the biggest one. I had the Super Blackhawk because I had successfully blown up a Tasco scope on the T/C. Hit the pig just back of the shoulder, heard the SMACK. Pig took off like a scalded-ass ape.

400 yards later, the pig holed up in the meanest bunch of stickerbush that ever grew on the Trinity River. Nothing to do but go on in after him, Bill Ruger leading the way. The pig had enough for one last dash and busted out of the bushes right at Mike. He had a 6" S&W 29 that went on full auto. One round severed the right forefoot, a couple more went somewhere else, and the last one right at kissing distance went smack through the top of the hog's head. Whooooo!
    That'll put a tingle in your gnarlies, I promise!

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

LIKTOSHOOT
    (8/1/01 10:18:46 pm)
    AD, YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!!!! I`m not far from the start of it all. In the 50`s a train derailed around Commerce,TX releasing 1000`s of domestic hogs meant for slaughter....into the Sulphur River bottoms, left wild and called a loss, they crossed with the Russians(brought in much earlier for game hunters) and gained several things, some good(meat) some bad.....weight with a pleasant attitude(uh`huh) Alpha, those wennie pigs are in south Texas and at best will scale out at 70-90lbs and are generally kinda a shrimpy........In the river bottoms a long (Very long) shot might be 20-25 yards and most where we hunt are under 15, in thick undergrowth...real up close and personal, staring at a 500lbs+ boar or his girlfriend in the bush, well it makes the heart run hot......they can do better than 20mph threw anything and in that class they will have tush in the 5" + class and throw a mean snout. I have now graduated to a 45/70 using a new style 405gr cast hammerhead bullet. I want it to be staked when hit, no foolin around here, Russians love the charge and the fight and will for no reason. Down there tuff guys finish bleeding and busted, just ask the guy who lives up from our place, he killed a 600lbs+ Red and black boar 2 years ago and it got 2 of his dogs and him too. Thigh to ankle, right leg...over 100 stiches and staples.....dogs wern`t so lucky, but they did their job protecting him, never seen a man so sad over that loss. Pig took 15 rounds of SKS, 12ga and 357 combined......one tuff pig with a bad attitude. I`m going to try a .45Super this year, but I will have backup until I figure out if it will do the job. I`m to old to find a tree and to slow to get to one too.......These ain`t Arnold the pig, pigs.................

ps/ AD, roger that full auto smith, seen an 870 do that once and a SA.....amazing stuff you can do in fearful moments..
    "am not" R2

Edited by: LIKTOSHOOT at: 8/1/01 11:26:49 pm

kdubaz
    (8/1/01 10:46:57 pm)
    LTS & AD -

Sounds like you boys better team up with a .50 cal Barret, or such! Now, I took a few wild porkers down around Brackettville back in the mid '80's with my then trusty Ruger .44 Mag Deerstalker carbine. Distances were around 50-75 yds. Good thing it was semi-auto loaded with pretty stiff handloads, all but 1 (head shot) required 2 or more hits before they quit moving and squealing! Gotta say, that meat worked up into the best BBQ I've ever slathered up!
    Keep below the ridgeline!

Edited by: kdubaz at: 8/1/01 11:50:29 pm

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/2/01 8:20:51 pm)
    In southeast Arkansas we have the same kinda pig, russians crossed with wild domestics. If they are breathing they are pissed at you and trying to get to you. We like to take 'em with a bow, But I carry either my Blackhawk (.45lc) or 686 in .357 as backup. We do go on hog hunts with handguns as primary weapons, for that I carry a Super Blackhawk in .44mag. The barrel on the 44 is just to long to carry with the bow and other stuff. Gotta travel light incase a tree is needed.....

Steve