The Firearms Forum banner

Hawken rifles what do you prefer

6K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Grizzley1 
#1 ·
I own 2 50 cal thompson centers hawkens,1 50 cal. Lyman GPR, 1 Austin Halleck Mountain Rifle in 50 cal., 1 CVA Hawken in 50 cal. 1 InvestArm 50 cal. Hawken. I seem to like my TC Hawkens the best of what I shoot. What do you have and like to shoot?

#2 ·
Only one Hawken, A Gun Works in54 cal. It's about as close to the original as you can get. If it's going to be called a Hawken it should at least look like a Hawken, not British sporting rifle or something else, (TC, CVA, Investarms)

#5 ·
I've had multiple Thompson Hawkens, still have two of them, I also have an Investarms Hawken flintlock in .45, A cva mountain rifle that used to be a .50 but I rebored it to .54 and two custom made hawkens, one of them I built about 20 years ago and the other one I built about 4 years ago, both in .54

I suppose my favorite is the newer custom build, it's a tack driver and it's a very nice chunk of maple stump used for the stock.

Sharps, is your Gun Works Hawken signed? I might know the builder or might actually be the builder.

#6 ·
Grizzley, I haven't had it out of the safe in so long I don't know. I don't recall it being signed. I assume it would be on one of the barrel flats? It is a fine rifle and a tack driver, that I do remember and from what I recall from the originals I've handled it's a dead ringer for a late 1840's, early 1850's Hawken. Being a native Missourian and only 100 miles from St. Louis I'm quite proud of it.

Oh...if it's of any significance I'm fairly certain I bought it about 20 years ago, new.

#7 ·
If it's signed it would be on one of the top flats, twenty years is too old for it to have been one of mine though, I didn't start building for Joe until about 15 years ago.

#8 ·
I have an InvestArm 50 cal. Hawken and a Pedersoli Traditional Hawken 50 cal and an older CVA 50 cal Hawken. Just got the Pedersoli for my birthday and have yet to try it out.

#9 ·
Ok, then it isn't signed. I would definitely remember if it were signed on the top flat, unless it is very obscure.

#10 ·
Here's a picture of my favorite Hawken.

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Family car

I built it back in 2010. It's a .54 caliber Oregon Barrel Co. round ball twist barrel made by Bill Rogers before he passed away, and it's a tack driver.

#11 ·
THAT'S a Hawken!!! Very nice Griz, beautiful piece of maple. You're making me want to dig mine out of the safe:D

#15 ·
It's gonna have to wait a while!! I used to love winter....and still don't hate it...but I believe I'll wait til this cold system passes. Something about being outside in 25 mph winds and 2 below just isn't appealing anymore. I just hope we get the snow they've forecast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.