1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Hawkens style Muzzle loader with double set triggers

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by DesertFox01, Nov 11, 2005.

1. DesertFox01

DesertFox01 New Member

does anyone know where i can find a Hawkens style muzzle loader with double set triggers in .50, .54, or .58 caliber :cool:
  2. azsigman

azsigman New Member

I got mine in kit form from Cabelas. They still carry them. After building it ( sort of ) myself, that first shot was a proud moment. They also carry the already built ones. Good luck......
  3. DesertFox01

DesertFox01 New Member

4. NewShooter

NewShooter New Member

Let us know how you like it. I've been thinking about one.
  5. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

It is good to hear that someone is interested in a traditional-style muzzleloader.

I have two Hawkens (.50 caliber) from Thompson/Center Arms of Rochester, NH. I think they are still making them. If not, plenty of used one are around.

The quality of these USA-made guns is far above the Euro-stuff that you see nowadays.
  6. Icemanxxxv

Icemanxxxv New Member

Mid South Shooter Supplies has the best deal on the Lyman Great Plains Rifle. It's more period correct (PC) Than either the Thompson or Traditions Hawken. It can be had in 50 or 54 cal. Flint or Percussion kit or complete... I think mine is coming Via Santa cause I've been a good boy this year.
  7. astute observer

astute observer New Member

Iceman....you are quite right! I have owned both a Thompson-Center Arms "Hawken" and a Lyman "Great Plains Rifle". The Lyman has the basic look and feel of the real thing (And I have handled plenty of the "real thing"). It is probably the closest you will find today in a mass-produced factory-made gun. There was a time, back in the 1970's, when Green River Rifle Works in Roosevelt, Utah, and Sharon Rifle Works in Kalispell, Montana, produced some replica Plains Rifles that were fairly close copies of an original Hawken. These guns are almost collector's items themselves, today.
  8. CapBlaster51

CapBlaster51 New Member

If you are fine with buying used guns check this place. I haven't called for pictures yet but they got a couple used ones for cheap. They also got some other used black powder guns. Im gonna call here in a day or two and see whats up on the conditions of them. Its a toll free number too.
    http://www.williamsgunsight.com/813usedblkpowderguns.htm
  9. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

My dad has a ithaca hawkens got it from a dumb pawn shop dealer never fired 135 dollors.
  10. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Try Dixie Gun Works, their catalogue is worth every penny of the $5...

They have several traditional ones listed from many makes and price ranges, you can compare the stats, and costs, and just dream looking at their catalogue, and they are good people to deal with too...

www.dixiegunworks.com
  11. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

wal-mart sells a tradtion hawkens nice looking gone . for 250.00 last time i was at walmart.com.