HBO Band of Brothers

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

warpig883
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/19/01 3:18:31 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All HBO Band of Brothers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have benn watching this mini-sereies on HBO. I am wondering what are the short semiauto rifles with the wire stock?

This is a great show. Lots of Thompsons, Garands, and 1911's.
    I fear we have awaked a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve. Jap. Admiral Yamamota directly after Pearl Harbor.

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (9/19/01 4:18:46 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: HBO Band of Brothers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I`m sure it is probably a M-1 Carbine Paratrooper .30cal pistol cartridge.....very weak round; If it is a US rifle, have not seen the show, because I do not support Hanks and his Butt puppies views. They claim....for the hero`s and then support with those dollars, to remove the very rights those people died for. They are sick BAST$RDS.....BOTH!!!!
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

warpig883
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/19/01 5:01:24 pm)
    That is what it would be LTS. Forgot about that. I knew it was not a grease gun. Share your feeling with Hanks and the other liberal fools. I cannot bring myself to boycott all of them. If that was the case I would be locked in my house naked,blind,deaf, and dumb all day. I try not to support them, but we all know it is next to impossible.

It is a great show, right up there with Saving Private Ryan.
    I fear we have awaked a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve. Jap. Admiral Yamamota directly after Pearl Harbor.

LIKTOSHOOT
    (9/19/01 6:45:46 pm)
    Pig, your right about trying to boycott everything and sometimes it`s just not possible, for one thing....sometimes we really don`t know who they are. In this case I know! Tom Hanks and Speilberg make the bile in my lower, churn. They stare at the camera and promote....."We should never forget what they did for us", "These hero`s need to be remembered" "They made us a free country" ect., ect., ect.

While slurping GIANT dollars on the backs of those "who" did die for a free nation and a GREAT CAUSE!, then turn around and return those dollars to cause`s that remove those very rights. They have NO shame, but they will reap their`s in the end.

I gave to the cause by buying a "used" SPR video for $3.00, hope he spent the .05 well, he never got my movie money though......cause I wouldn`t have graced him. I could go on and on about these two, but my rant is over and they are really not worth my short time on this planet. LTS
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

warpig883
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/19/01 6:53:36 pm)
    amen, that is a great idea on the video.

polishshooter
    (9/19/01 10:28:16 pm)
    You could have also read the book...it's better. And Hanks wouldn't have gotten a dime from you. But he IS a good actor...

Stephen Ambrose is absolutely one of the absolute best of WWII historians. His specialties are (1) anything and everything you ever wanted to know about Eisenhower, and/or DDay and the Bulge, and (2) the "small guy's" view of war in Europe from DDay to VG Day.

"Band of Brothers" is one of the latter, but he has quite a few others in the same ilk.

BUT Ambrose is also a closet lib, I saw an interview with him about the HBO special, and I could not believe that a guy who spent his entire life studying the war so minutely could draw EXACTLY the wrong "social" conclusions from it, IMHO.

BUT, factually, both militarily, and with his first hand accounts, they are flawlessly researched, and recounted objectively, the only bias he shows at all is awe...

I recommend him highly if you want to really learn about WWII...

The only guy I like better is John Keegan, but he's dryer, not as good a writer, and usually focuses on a bigger picture, and also writes on all eras of Mil History, not just WWII.

Well, I didn't win the Powerball, so I still collect Russian Crap and variants thereof. ( And am darn happy I can!)

warpig883
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/20/01 12:03:21 am)
    I will read that book. I usually do read the book before the movie. I do a lot of reading.

Just finishing up a rereading of James Fenimore Coopers books, working on The Pilot now.I love them because they are set during the Revolutionary War era. These are great books that were written in the early 1800's.

Last week I read Force 10 from Navarone and the Guns of Navarone by Alistar Maclean. Have another one by him on order at the library-Where Eagles Dare. I tend to read the same books avery few years.

Full metal Jacket is a good one I read it many years before the movie was made. If I remember right the title of that book is The Daybreakers???

17th FA Bn
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/21/01 8:03:23 pm)
    Warpig the rifles with wire stocks are para trooper versions of the m-1 carbine. It fired a light .30 round at about 1900 fps. It was designed to be carried by men who needed something lighter than a m-1 but with more range and accuracy than a hand gun. It actualy had a lot more foot pounds of energy than the .45. They say they were very accurate out to 200 + yards. It was not ment to replace the M-1 rifle, but to be carried by men like truck drivers and engineers who did not usualy use a rifle. The scene were one of the men climbs a tree and picks of German artillery men is right out of the book. He could have done that with a M-1 rifle, but not a pistole or sub-machine gun.

I think "Band of Brothers" is the best WW II book I ever read. I like what I've seen so far on the movie. It seems very accurate.

If I didn't listen to any music or see or watch any movie or T.V. show by people whos political views I don't agree with their wouldn't be much to see or watch, except Pat Boone music and Magnum P.I. reruns.

Dantethedespoiler
    (4/2/02 2:29:45 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del surfed in on the web.....
    must be the closet i live in but i'm not aware of hanks and spielburg's views. could someone be so kind to elighten me?
    if i recall ambrose got into soem trouble here recently about some plagarism issues.
    You're not allowed to rent here anymore...... YEAHHH!!!!- Randal and jay, Clerks.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/2/02 6:28:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: surfed in on the web.....
    Tom Hanks espouses very Liberal views, about just about everything, BIG Clinton supporter, but probably most important to us, is against private ownership of guns and the 2nd Amendment.

I'm not sure about Spielberg, but I heard he was a Clinton "Hollywood Crony" also...

Ambrose surprised me the first time I saw him do an interview and they questioned him about his feelings of the politics of the day during WWII, and he expressed his awe of the "New Deal" politics of FDR, and the social policies of Truman, then brought it to the present day and went right on to what he supports TODAY, which is basically the Liberal Democratic line....

Now I know he is a personal friend of George McGovern, and that he had supported his Presidential campaign against Nixon, but I thought that was more personal loyalty because of McGovern's distinguished carreer as a B24 Pilot in command in the 15th AF in Italy with 35 missions...some of them hairy...plus his histories of Nixon, which are pretty damning....

But he also treated Eisenhower the General and the President deferentially too, almost in awe, so I just thought it was his basic reverence for anything or anyone related to the war...BUT like I said, his personal views of current politics seem to qualify him for "card carrying status" of the DNC...

Which is surprising...his (our) heroes fought and died in WWII to protect those very rights of which today the Liberals are intentionally or unintentionally trying DAILY to deprive Americans.
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

Dantethedespoiler
    (4/3/02 2:24:17 am)
    thanks for the info. i'm a closet ww2 buff, i think the thing that most fascinates me about the second world war is the power of propaganda. i honestly don't belive any race to be "evil" but how hitler/goebbels got the german public to go with alto of the stuff they did is jsut amazing/disgusting.
    You're not allowed to rent here anymore...... YEAHHH!!!!- Randal and jay, Clerks.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/3/02 3:07:14 am)
    Polish, funny thing about Spielberg's 'public face' on firearms - he's attended many celebrity shooting comps overseas, and is reported to have a large personal firearm collection.

I worked for almost a year for his Holocaust Foundation (on Universal's back lot), and had a few discussions with people that rubbed elbows with him, about firearms.