HBO Movie: Temple Grandin

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silencer, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

Temple Grandin - HBO Movie 2010 - Biography/Drama Starring: Claire Danes, Catherine O'Hara, Julia Ormond and David Strathairn

Plot: The biography of Temple Grandin, an autistic child who grows up to be a top scientist in humane livestock handling.

Wow, what an awesome movie. Claire Danes does an amazing job as Temple Grandin, who I feel will earn some awards. If you liked Forest Gump, you love this movie, only more so. Temple was born autistic at a time when 'professionals' thought they were psychotic and not good for anything other than institutions. Temple's mother (Julia Ormond) proves them all wrong by always insisting Temple go to school, talk, learn manners, etc. She wasn't treated different.

I don't want to say too much, but this is a great, heartwarming, inspirational, uplifting story and makes a perfect family movie. My boys hated the idea of watching this, but couldn't get enough. The last five minutes of this movie are fantastic, but again, I don't want to say too much.

Just frick'n watch it! It's the best movie I've seen in a few years, despite being a HBO movie. Don't believe me? Read the reviews here... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278469/

10/10
  2. red14

red14 Active Member

I saw it. It was very well made, and really showed what can be accomplished by hard work and perseverence. I highly recommend it. Let's just say the lead character has some spunk and refuses to take no for an answer.:D:D:D
  3. 450NE

450NE New Member

The book is really excellent. If you've ever had to work with livestock you will really appreciate how incredible she is.

I've built handling pens based on her designs. They really work !
    :D:D
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I have no cable television but I really want to see this now.
  5. Artemus

Artemus New Member

It truly is worth watching,especially if you have a loved one with Autism.It gives you some hope.
  6. red14

red14 Active Member

There was a kid that graduated with my youngest son who spoke at his graduation. Very impressive young man. Graduated with honors.
  7. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I cancelled HBO about 20 years ago. Is this out in DVD?

edit: I checked Netflix and added it to my SAVED bucket. This means that it eventually will be released to DVD....they just don't have a date as yet.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  8. Silencer

It's going to be a few months until it comes out on BD or DVD. This movie just aired for the first time on Saturday. Knowing how amazing and well received this movie is, HBO is going to want to promote the hell out of it to try to get new customers. So, I think it's going to be a while before it hits the store shelves.

When it does hit the DVD/BD market, get it! It's absolutely fantastic.
  9. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It's on my "Bucket List" at Netflix. Thanks for the heads up.
  10. Silencer

Well, it's been over a year. Have any of you watched this movie? What did you think? It was just on air again. Still fantastic to watch.
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Temple is a marvelous lady. I've never met her, except on the net, but she has accomplished so much, because she was allowed to do what she could.

People don't realize how many people in the sciences and R&D are mildly to moderately austic. There is a term called Asperger's Syndrome, which is high-level autism. It is found in many in the fields of science, electronics, computers and other technical R&D fields. Bill Gates is probably the most famous of today's people on the line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_on_the_autism_spectrum

Pops
  12. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Haven't seen the movie yet, but just bought her book, "Thinking in Pictures, Expanded Edition: My Life With Autism."

Thanks for the recommendation!
  13. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Really hit home with me since I have an Autistic son. Great movie and a wonderful story. I pray everyday that my son will turn out fine but it is a difficult road for sure.