HD Single Stage Press

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by xzqzq, Dec 5, 2012.

1. xzqzq

xzqzq New Member

I wanted to ask for suggestions regarding a heavy duty, single stage press. I need a press strong enough to reform brass cases, looking at $ 100, used. RCBS Rock Chucker ? Thanks, George
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

What caliber do you have in mind?

The Rock Crusher is fine for most all case forming.
    Also keep an eye out for the Lyman Crusher (formerly the Orange Crusher if you're shopping used), the Hornady Classics are also the same size and strength class as the Rock Chucker too. Besides those three, pretty much every one of the makers has a press in that size class...even Lee makes a big cast-iron frame press.

If you're forming a really big case, you might need to step up to the RCBS AmmoMaster or similar....but that's definitely not the norm.
    A Rock Chucker size press should do pretty much all the case forming that most guys will ever need to do.
  3. stev32k

stev32k Well-Known Member

4. X Ring

X Ring Active Member

RCBS Ammomaster, strong enough to reform any brass case, able to load 50BMG, can also be used for bullet swaging.
  5. 10 Spot Terminator

10 Spot Terminator New Member

Redmond Oregon ( middle of state refered to as Cen
    Any of the Herters model 3 series presses. They were overkill in their day and will do the job nicely . I had one as my first press, have a Rock Chukker now and have reformed brass on both. Herters gets the nod here.
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

The RC would get my vote for your price range. The Herters is a good one too, as noted. The linkages on the Lee will not hold up with heavy duty use, they're cheap to replace though. The AmmoMaster would not be in that price range used.
    What cases are you resizing? There are 4 generations of RC's and the earlier ones will not handle some of the longer cases.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Id go RCBS RC or Lyman T-Mag. Either are next to indestructible