HEAD PULLED OFF--CASE STILL IN DIE

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by LASIE, Mar 13, 2012.

1. LASIE

LASIE New Member

This happened to me for the first time in my 54 years of reloading.
    I pulled out the decapper stem and tried to punch it out from the top to no avail then tried to twist a screw driver inside the case to no avail.
    this is how I got out.
    I cleaned out the inside of case with sand paper then
    I poured melted cerrosafe in it then punched it out from the top with a drift punch it came out very easy.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Good idea; first I've heard of that method. Sure is a pain in the butt to get a stuck case. I have multiple sizing dies for my important calibers. Just in case i do get a badly stuck case and don't want to stop my process .
  3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Next time try putting it in the freezer for a couple hours.
  4. LASIE

LASIE New Member

What do you do after you freeze it?
    does it just fall out?
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Depending on the caliber, I've used a tap to remove stuck cases. Find the closest possible size and thread it up into the case. With the decapping stem removed, run a drift punch down through up against the tap and try to drive it out. A trip into the freezer before trying to drive the case out, as Steve posted, helps.

Due to different thermal expansion between steel and brass, freezing the die with the stuck case will usually give you a few ten thousands of an inch of extra clearance to loosen it up.

I do like that cerrosafe plug method though too. I'll have to remember that one, especially if I come across a case that I can't find a tap to fit inside.
    Thanks for posting it!
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  6. muddober

muddober Active Member

I once heated a die with a torch getting it red hot and then quenching it in cold water. The case fell out in my hand. I did this some 35 years ago to an 06 sizing die and other than changing its color just bit it has not seemed to hurt its ability to size cases to spec one bit.

Ron
  7. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If you can't get it, send it back to the manufacturer and they will remove it at no cost. It's a pain and time lost, but they will remove it.

Good luck,
    Jim