Head spacing a Mosin Nagant after fixing a broken bolt

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by sharpie443, May 9, 2012.

1. sharpie443

sharpie443 New Member

Had my rifle break on me last time I was out so I did a vidio on fixing it. Also talked about head spacing and where to get a gauge.

http://youtu.be/mvoHJlr6tio
  2. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

sharpie, The Mosin head spaces with the bolt head. If that is properly head spaced, you can change the entire bolt, use that same bolt head, and the head space never changes.
  3. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

Thanks for the info
  4. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Using the same brand of headspace gauges that sharpie used, we sat down and checked 7 different Mosins, ranging in receiver dates from 1896 to 1954. All checked out within specs.
    Then we took one bolt head and tried it in the other 6 rifles using their respective bolts. All still checked out within specs.
    Pretty impressive considering a 58 year span, and the primitive machinery and conditions they were built on. Two of these were wartime 40's production, when the Russians packed up and moved entire factories back from the German lines.