Heads up for cell phone users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by armedandsafe, Jan 22, 2009.

1. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

FirstInLine received this from corporate:

I have already received 2 telemarketing calls, which is a new experience for me on the cell phone. They normally come in on the house line. I'm now registered.

Pops
  2. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Thank you. I guess Verizon is operating under a misconception.

Pops
  4. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Congress could learn a thing or two from the FCC. That was, without a doubt, the clearest document ever produced by our government. I actually understood the whole thing!
  5. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Telemarketers are always apologetic when they call my cell phone and I tell them it's a cell number. They seem much more annoying when they call my land line and I tell them it's a blocked number that I pay to have blocked! Ugh.
  6. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I don't have a cell phone. :p
  7. Well, Pick, I understand that Obama has promised to get us some cell towers here in Colorado one of these days. Maybe then we can do away with the tin cans and waxed string we've been using. :D;)
  8. artabr

artabr New Member

While it may be illegal I'm still getting these types of calls after registering with the FCC AND filing complaints.
    It's gotten so bad that I've started keeping a log of all the offending calls on both my landline and cell phone. I get 2 or 3 calls a day now on my landline. :mad:

Another government program that doesn't work. Although I've got to say, they did try. :mad:

Art
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  9. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I got rid of my last land line in 2005 because of telemarketers. Within 1 day of that one being connected, they were calling. From 8am to 10 at night, offering everything from Girls Gone Wild DVDs to preapproved loans.

I disconnected the land line before the first bill came!
  10. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

The donotcall list has worked very well for my wife and I. It does take 3 months or so to take effect. The calls we get are very few and far between. We never get telemarketer calls on our cell phones either. I believe this happens when people take their home number (a landline number) and have it put on a cell phone due to the number portability legislation a few years ago. A guy I work with did that and I believe he gets telemarketer calls on his cell because it's in the home phone range of numbers.
  11. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

It's annoying that the telemarketers seem to find a way around the DNC list. They do eventually start calling again, I have had my numbers on the list since it was established, but have always gotten fewer calls on the cell number. Last month I was getting up to ten calls a day on my land line!
  12. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

OK, here is the situation on tis plantation.

My cell phone number has the same 3 number prefix as do many of the landlines in this area. There is no way for computers to know who is cell and who is landline by the number. So, the registry is potentially useful. I used to get a telemarketer on my cell phone about once every 2 months. I received two this week. Hmmmmm.

I remember when the fax telemarketing was the rage. I had a fax on the business line. Whenever I got a marketing fax, I would send a bill for $25.00 to the sender for "advertising fees." If it was not paid within 60 days, it went to delinquency and was reported to the credit bureaus. I took a couple of them to small claims court, as they were based in the city. Wanna hear a company cry? Walk in with a deputy sheriff and demand a check (with costs, interest and fees) or property siezed until the bill was paid. I would always sieze the keyboards on the computers. Within 6 months, the telemarketer fax machines across the country had been programmed to NOT call my number. :D

My advice is: register. It is relatively painless.

Pops
  13. artabr

artabr New Member

It's the same for me. I've been on the DNC list from the begining. I think the way they are getting around the law is by offering you a chance to decline the call.

I received a call the other day. I called the number back and got the "This number is disconnected" recording. I can't figure that one out. :confused: :mad:

Art
  14. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I like to play all kinds of tricks on them once they really tick me off.
  15. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

It's not outright illegal. It is something like automated dialers are illegal, so if someone physically punches your phone number in it is legal.