Heads-up On Availability of Military Rifle Mags

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by 411man, Jun 8, 2006.

1. 411man

411man New Member

I am new to your forum and I post this thread with the objective of assisting us all to be informed and up-to-date on matters that concern or effect us all.

I do have a Large data base of sources and information on such areas of interest as firearms, ammunition, firearms magazines, accessories, survival supplies, etc. If I can help any member or reader to locate any such item, just ask; my assistance is FREE I am not in business I simply wish to help my fellow American stay informed and be prepared.

Here are the current trends on supplies and pricing on FAL, HK / G-3, and AK rifle magazines.

STEEL FAL and HK / G-3 rifle magazines NEW condition are almost History.

Used Steel FAL and HK / G-3 mags are going up in price with a few sources holding at $5 per mag. The number of sources are shrinking.

Aluminum FAL and HK / G-3 magazines NEW condition are fast becoming extinct with prices rising accordingly.

Used Aluminum FAL and HK / G-3 magazines remain plentiful and low cost for now. As the new condition and steel types disappear look for these prices to increase.

Chinese AK mags both in .223 and 7.62x39 are increasing in price substantially since the summer of 2005. Supplies are becoming very difficult to locate with most offerings to be found as individual sales on market boards or Online auctions. I'm sure some remain in stock at the occasional retail source but one must search to locate them.

East European AK Steel mags remain available but have experienced an increase in price.

Synthetic East European AK mags can be found but are not that widely available. One needs to look to find more than a handful of sources. They are NOT cheap.

With the sunset of the Assualt Weapons Ban a surge in purchasing and manufacture of FAL, HK / G-3, and AK type rifles has brought increased demand for pre-ban capacity magazines. So far, unlike US service rifle type magazines, US producers have not begun offering domestic sources for these type rifles. DSA FAL mags are an exception but they are NOT cheap for the New production examples.

As for the M1A / M-14 and M1 Carbine type rifle magazines, a number of companies now offer domestic made high capacity examples at fairly low prices. No product quality data is available so far by which their worth may be established. Postings on personal experiences are very much welcome so the buying public can determind their quality.

Names and Links for Additional information, quality reports, sources, and prices should be posted all over the W W W when found. I encourage everyone to share any information and knowledge they may obtain. Since we are all in this together, it only makes sence for us to share information and knowledge.

This has been a general over view NOT a price or buying guide.
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome 411, what do SKS's and Enfield's mag's usually run dude?
  3. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

Speaking of mags, I've got a shoebox full of 20, 30 and 40 round mini 14 mags that I don't need anymore but I do need AK mags. Wanna swap?
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

5. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Lets see, one post about magazine shortages. Funny, there were the same amount if not more during the ban and the States that did not increase the standard ban were full of magazines and still are. You may have a data base, but it`s one I don`t believe. You seem to forget there were quite a few years between 1989 and 1994............ suppliers didn`t.

LTS
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

Mags are no different than any other commodity; when the price gets high enough, there always is a source of supply!
    Fal mags were/ are cheap, because millions of serviceable mags exist, around the globe, and many nations are changing gear, as to weapons, so they (the mags) become surplus, to be sold to the highest bidder, even if the bid is not very high! The Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, and Canadians were the source of virtually all the "inch pattern" FAL's, as they built nearly all of them, some years ago. Now that they have gone in another direction, look at the price of the parts, and mags, and the trend, in general.
    When the commonwealth started dumping them on the surplus arms market, "Parts Kits" came into this country and sold at retail for well less than $100us, IN 'AS ISSUED' CONDITION! Now that the supply has dwindled, price has gone way up.
    The flip side is the availability and price of mags for the m-14/M1A; for a while, they hovered at $50/per, for as new USGI, but the price brought new players into the game, and the newly manufactured mags are falling in price, as supply rises; no surprise!
    When I was in the army, our 'basic load' was never less than six mags, per individual weapon, and importation laws have reduced the number of recievers, considerably, so there ought to be a 'motherlode' of mags, yet to be discovered, somewhere!