hearing aids ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gpostal, Mar 5, 2004.

1. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

i was looking at walkers game ear ,and it looks so much like the older style hearing aids ,and i was wondering if any of you used or knew someone that uses regular hearing aids and do they have a db{noise level} cut off ?
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Postal, you mean like when you fire the weapon it cuts down the sharp db rise? Should be in the specs.
  3. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

yep thats what i mean ,but not all of them offer that particular spec

walker game ear is over a hundred bucks ,a normal behind the ear hearing aid is around thirty ,i pulled a few pictures of both and thats what they look like ,i think he just had a good ideal and started marketing them
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

All hearing aids have a natural limit on how much volume is passed on, based on the electronics of the amplifier. Not all, however, have the noise limiting circuitry to sharply cut off the damaging noises. Check your specs and you will find no mention of how fast they respond to sharp increases in noise level, nor how much noise, maximum, they will allow in your ear. The aids designed to protect your ear from damage have special circuitry to perform this task.

Pops
  5. Redneck2000

Redneck2000 New Member

I wear hearing aids that have an adjustable db cutout setting. Mine are computer programable and I can have the cutout point set anywhere I want it. I still don't use them when shooting, though. Don't want to take a chance on wrecking those very expensive little buggers...:eek:
  6. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

thanks guys ,and THANK YOU TOO REDNECK!

sorry couldn't resist
  7. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

guy i know at the range just takes his hearing aids out when he shoots . . .guess that works too
  8. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

hopefully i will find out in the next week ,my stepfather passed a few years ago ,and he had two very expensive hearing aids ,my mother is going to bring them down for me to try ,nothing like taking your muffs off to hear someone ,and another person shooting at the same time
  9. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I wear aids in both ears. Total cost was about 1850.00.

When I shoot I take them out and still wear protection to protect what little I have left. If I loose what little I have, I hear nothing, even with the aids.

My question would be, WRT Walker, can they be set for one such as I with extreme hearing loss to hear better in the woods while still protecting the ears from muzzle blast?
  10. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

That is exactly what they are designed for, Marlin. They have cut off circuitry with a very sharp knee, to progtect your ears from sudden noise above a given level. They have limiting circuitry to reduce loud noises in the damaging levels. Then, they amplify all sounds to sensitize your hearing.

Some people who normally wear hearing aids find things sound "funny" when using these types of aids. Their regular aids are tuned to their particular hearing loss, amplifying certain frequencies more than others, to provide a "natural" sound. The hunting/shooting aids are broad spectrum, amplifying all frequencies the same amount (technically not quite true, but close enough.)

Pops
  11. corpis66

corpis66 New Member

Don't want to take a chance on wrecking those very expensive little buggers...

you said it...mine ran around $1800.00
    heh...::Sigh::...the cost of hearing...damn i could built a good gun for this...eh??
  12. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

One other thing - not mentioned, but maybe implied - if you have hearing aids AND they have a cut off at high dB, you still may NOT have appropriate protection.

Said another way, if the hearing aid wasn't an aid at all, just a plug that look like one - how much dB REDCUTION is generated by the earpiece? If your not getting a reduction in dB, all you have is the electronics not amplifying an already really loud noise.

I use the Peltor Tac6 amplified muffs most of the time - they work good for me. Not near the price of aids - handy on the range. I wear them hunting as they keep the ol' ear flaps warm, plus boost loacl sounds.
  13. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

got them today ,tried them out they work fine ,i took a shell with just a primer and fired it ,i did hear it a bit so then i tried it with out them {can you say duh!} riiiiiing!!!!

but i had to know ,now i just have to see how they do on the range with full loads