HEARING PROTECTION

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 25yretcoastie, Mar 10, 2012.

1. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie New Member

Finally the wife want to shoot and play with guns also. Only thing is I need to get her the best hearing protection that I can. She uses plugs now but wants muffs also. Does anyone have any infromation about type and rateings.

Thanks in advance guys
    Steve
  2. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

You don't need a real expensive pair of ear muffs. I wear plugs rated for 21 db and a $20 pair of Browning Buckmark ear muffs rated for 23db. The rating is not additive, but should give me about 28 db of protection. By wearing both I get the extra protection and if I am off the line, I can remove the ear muffs and still have the plugs for protection.

The Browning ear muffs are very comfortable and are low profile, which helps when shooting rifle, a very thick pair will get in the way when leaning your head on the stock of a rifle.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I can't judge whether they are the best possible, but I've used Peltor Presidental muffs for the last 15 years. Outdoors with magnum revolvers, indoors with centerfire rifles going off in the next booth, never a complaint from me. I've never felt the need to double-up with plug under them. Comfortable muffs and under $30 a pair.
  4. dcriner

dcriner Member

Ear plugs are generally less effective than most any pair of muffs.
  5. ignats

ignats Member

Don't skimp on hearing protection. After years of shooting I'm almost totally deaf in right ear. I used poured latex or rubber ear plugs they actually pour the wet material into your ear it then becomes solid and is fitted to your outer in middle ear area. Over those I wear muffs. Even with that I have a considerable hearing loss.
  6. rcairflr

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. A pair of earmuffs rated for 21-24 db is not enough protection without backing them up with a pair of earplugs.
  7. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is a good idea actually. I am going to try that. Oh by the way,,, what did you say. Hu?
  8. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

I use Peltor PTL w/o plugs, very comfortable even with magnums on each side.
  9. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie New Member

I was thinking of 25db plugs and 27db low profile muffs. The plugs are 4M tekk but the muffs are no name at wally world. What do u guys think?
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Go for it! Should work just fine. Loud firearms are not fun for beginners, and the loud noise will make most folks flinch! Most of the time around here at home I don't use anything at all, and my hearing has always been bad because of it. I own the plugs, and muffs, just to lazy to use them!
  11. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I use the electronic ones that allow you to carry on a normal conversation until the shooting starts then it blocks all noise. They are Howard Leight Impact Sports.
  12. rcairflr

I think that combination will work great. Should give you about 30-31 db protection with the combination.
  13. rcairflr

You are making a very big mistake. Flinching is the least of anyones worries when it comes to our hearing. Firearms can be as loud as 160 db and just one exposure to that load of a noise can cause hearing damage.

I hope everyone else here uses hearing protection when shooting.
  14. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Growing up I never wore hearing protection. Yes, I know that hindsight is 20/20 and now I really pay for it. I always wear hearing pro when shooting and even while mowing the grass. Usually either a pair of plugs or muffs. Never tried the ones that you can carry on normal conversation and block out loud noises.
  15. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    While I do advocate the use of hearing protection, I'm 63, and have been shooting all my life with out the use of hearing protection. Do you really think that a few more gun shoots are going to create a bigger problem for me?
  16. Conman

Conman Member

I second these muffs!!! They are great. I also wear a set of foam plugs.

These have a volume control that goes WAY UP if you want.
  17. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I do the same as several other guys have posted in here. I use a pair of 27dB rubber plugs and a set of 22dB Peltor Bullseye 9 muffs for most all of my rifle shooting. At the range, I leave the plugs in all the time but I can shed the muffs between relays to get a bit more hearing.

Even this combo is a bit light if I'm doing a lot of magnum pistol shooting (.357, .41, .44mag, or 10mm auto) I still get a lot of percussive shock on the ears so I recently picked up another set of Peltor Ultimate 10 muffs (29dB rating) to double up with the plugs. Haven't had a chance to try them out in an extended range session yet.

I work in a food processing plant and have to wear the 27dB plugs all the time, so I'm pretty acclimated to wearing them full time at the range. The muffs add that extra bit of protection from the muzzle blast when it's time to fire.
    I'm so used to wearing them by now that I can't stand to do much of anything in the shop at the farm without at least plugs in.
    I've still got good hearing so I want to keep it...although I still listen to the radio too loud while driving. My dad has typical farmer-ear and the tractors have taken quite a bit of his left-ear hearing already (that's the one that's always pointed towards the exhaust pipe when watching implements behind the tractor). I don't want to wind up like that if I can help it.
  18. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yes!
    My dad's hearing didn't really get to be noticeably bad until his mid-60s. We knew it was getting shy but these last few years from 65 to 72 it has really become very apparent.
    You're not that old yet Carver. Hang onto what you've got because those darned hearing aids are too expensive and they ain't like the real deal!

I used to be kinda lax on the hearing protection thinking too until I started working up here at the plant. I made it until my early 30s without taking too much care of my ears.
    I've got mild hearing loss on certain frequencies from my younger days, but our last maintenance manager was always a real stickler about his mechs having good plugs and using them so even though I'm in a 120dB or so environment for much of a 12hr shift I haven't lost any measurable amount in the past 8 years.
  19. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

yes i use earmuffs but the cheaper fat ones get in the way when shooting a rifle might try the Howard Leight
  20. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I agree with above and use electronic and plugs and either or.
    Caldwell makes some decent one's and at a decent price. If I'm out shooting a larger
    magnum rifle I'll double up with the plugs and electronic muffs.
    You can catch the Caldwell's on sale from time to time at MidwayUSA.com