Hearings On "Stand Your Ground" ...

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by JohnHenry, May 20, 2012.

1. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

2. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

It doesn't benefit criminals and as we all well know, liberalism is all about protecting the criminals and controlling the law abiding citizens.
  3. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Got to remember Scott refused to disarm folks with CCW's, just to appease those who think we'll all go nuts when the convention hits here.

And, all these folks are tasked with is giving opinions. Yes, some will be biased, but, this is the South.
  4. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

states like NY have "retreat" requirements in their self defense laws... you gotta runaway before you can shoot in self defense, even in your own home...
  5. armoredman

armoredman New Member

That's a hell of a claim, anyone heard of this happening with this law?

Mr Caneman, that's one more reason I love living in AZ, SYG and Castle Doctrine. I need not retreat from any place I have a right to be.
    Last edited: May 21, 2012
  6. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

good for AZ... what happened to your neighbor NM, why is that state so liberal?

believe it or not, here in CA we have a pretty good Castle Doctrine law (they rammed it thru in the 80's while CA was still a mostly conservative state), and SYG is incorporated in to the self-defense laws...
  7. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

The USA has 50 states and several more territories that have their own laws and court precedents on the use of potentially lethal force, in defense of oneself, others, and property.

These laws and court rulings are usually similar; but can be and often are significantly different; and are frequently changing over time. Reactions to situations that would have been deemed justifiable, some years ago, are now crimes; and in a few states, reactions to situations that would have been crimes, several years ago, are now justified under statutory law.

At least one state (Texas, if it has not very recently changed) seems to still allows the use of lethal force to stop some property crimes. In other some states a situation that would have been a "stand your ground" justifiable homicide, becomes second degree murder if the person who is compelled to use potentially lethal force is found to have behaved in an overt manner that provoked the situation that put the killer in a "likely kill or likely be killed " situation.

Things are as they are. What we, as individuals, think is right or just, simply does not matter.

One would be wise to know the laws and court precedents on the use of potentially lethal force in all states where one spends much time.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, ONE IS WISE NOT TO GET INTO ARGUMENTS (OR EVEN VERBAL DISCUSSIONS) WITH PERSONS WHO ARE POTENTIALLY LIKELY TO TURN VIOLENT. If a discussion becomes heated, one is well advised to say "Your are right" and get away. Otherwise, you could be facing second degree murder charges if the enraged fool draws a gun and you have to shoot him/her.

I once worked for a native of Sicily in Detroit, named Vincent, who had a number of interesting, useful, and wise axioms that he lived by. They included: "SILENCE MAKES FEW, IF ANY, MISTAKES"; "TEACH YOUR TONGUE TO SAY: ""I DO NOT KNOW"" (OR REMEMBER). "OPEN YOUR WALLET AND YOUR MOUTH WITH CAUTION".

All of the above are especially good advice when dealing with persons who might turn violent.
  8. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

hammer, great advice i agree... add in situational awareness and avoidance along with "silence makes few, if any, mistakes" and i think these three could keep you out of a lot of trouble...