Heartwarming Story

Discussion in 'Disabled Hunters & Shooters Forum' started by Marlin, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

This tells about a young man who lives near where I lived prior to moving to Mississippi and was known by my son.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Subject: James' first
    To: BMDISABLED@LISTSERV.BUCKMASTERS.COM

A First that lit a Fire

Buckmasters American Deer Foundation loves the idea of being able to help offer the experience of hunting to so many good people that have a disability. Along with the people, clubs and others ( that we could not offer these hunts without them ) we at BADF get special satisfaction when we help arrange the opportunity for a person to harvest their first deer.
    James Holcombe is a young man from Dora, Alabama that has had a disability since birth. James had a stroke at birth and has seizures and had never been hunting in his life. To keep himself occupied he has an arrangement with Hardees that when he feels O.K. he can come to work at Hardee's.
    His mom tells me that not only has James never been hunting he had never even picked up a rifle anywhere near the caliber needed for deer hunting. Marsha told me also that James is a faithful viewer of Buckmasters T.V. show and has said he would like to go on a hunt like that.
    After hearing all this, James was invited on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday deer hunt by some very good folks near Brookwood, Alabama at the Black Warrior Hunting Club. It was a thrill for all of us when the invitation was excepted and plans were put into motion to take James along with 6 other people with a disability hunting.
    As happens sometimes in the foothills around Brookwood it gets cold and this Friday morning there was a heavy frost on the ground. The frost was bad enough but when the wind started blowing it would cut right through all my winter clothes.
    After a morning of wishing I had stayed in the warm bed Billy came to get me and we went back to the skinning shed to await the other hunters. On the way back Billy told me the news about James harvesting a six point buck and said the look on James face had made his entire hunting season worth while. Getting back to the shed we were welcomed by the biggest grin you have ever seen on anyone's face. Even being drafted into the skinning and the initiation couldn't erase the gleam from James' face.
    This look on James' face and the true emotion shared by all the club members and other hunters present was very real. The feeling is the best warm fuzzy you can have. James was thanking everyone for his first deer on his very first hunt, but James we want to thank you for the privilege you allowed us to be a part of this moment.
    Now James tells me anytime, anywhere deer hunting is involves he is ready to go!!!

William Davis
    BADF Hunt Coordinator
    wsadat@aol.com