HEAVY 45 ACP LOADS

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by BADASSKIMBER45, Oct 25, 2003.

1. BADASSKIMBER45

BADASSKIMBER45 New Member

Fellers, has anyone ever used a .452 45 colt bullet in 250 or 255 Grain round nose flat point for 45 ACP loads? I have tried one, but it was difficult to find any useable data for it. I had found some data on these heavy duty loads in an old article on Sixgunner.com last year, but I cannot locate it anymore. In a 5 inch gun, they ought to be able to do about 850 FPS....any takers??
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Badass.......yep, that was my Bowling Pin Load. I used a Keith-type 255 gr. bullet originally designed for the .45 (Long) Colt.

The RCBS mould # is 45-255-SWC-82050. It casts at .454 and should be sized to .451 or .452 (depending on what your gun likes) for a .45 ACP.

Here it is (at the bottom): http://www.rcbs.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=4&s2=9&s3=83&pg=3

I started out at 6.0 gr. of Unique and worked up .1 gr. at a time 'till I got the hitting power and accuracy I wanted.

My old loading notebooks are buried out in the garage, but if I recall correctly, I finally settled on a load of about 6.5-6.7 gr. of Unique...but don't quote me on that. Start at 6.0 and work up .1 at time 'till you get a load your gun prefers.

Don't know what it chronographed at.....probably about 850 or so, but it really did a job on bowling pins thru my 1911 Pin Gun.

Note: this is a pretty square bullet, so if you want it to feed well in a 1911, you'll need a nicely polished feed ramp and a smooth transition into the chamber.
  3. BADASSKIMBER45

Xracer, thanks. That was what I was looking for--someone to give me a starting point and also to not think I was crazy for wanting a heavy bullet load in an ACP...
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Remember....this is a somewhat longer bullet than most for the .45ACP, so you don't want to seat it too deep. You'll need to go for the maximum overall cartridge length of 1.17".

What will you be using it for?
  5. BADASSKIMBER45

Xracer, This load nearly duplicates the 1873 45 Colt blackpowder load...it could nearly shoot through a covered wagon........so I guess I will use it to shoot through covered wagons..;)
    an extra magazine full of those tucked away would make a handy stand off weapon for barricades in the event ya can't get back to the AR you should never have left behind in the first place...