Heavy 45LC Loads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by LDJ, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

The only other gun that the "Ruger loads" are safe in would be a .454 Casull, which is based on the .45 LC case. I wouldn't shoot wax bullets powered by the primer only through a Taurus, but I will NEVER own a Taurus to try that with.
  2. LDJ

LDJ Member

Hey Joe!
    My Ruger Super Redhawk .454 is on order and I should have it, in about a week.
  3. Mrdahut

Mrdahut New Member

HI folks i have from time to time looked here online for answers. This time i have joined since i have yet to see an answer to my .45lc question. I have a fair amount of reloading EXP with my rifles. I bought the Taurus Circuit Judge. Simply figured easy to do pick up my die's and load. Well now here is where i was wrong.

Projectile wise i am seeing both .45lc and .45 but not often. Is there a difference in projectiles diameter i need to be aware of. head space is not an issue in a cylinder designed for a .410 but over pressure in this rifle is.

Before i go out and spend some cash how do i NOT make a grenade out of my rifle.

ty gentlemen.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Before WW2, 45 Colt used a 454 bullet and 45 Auto used a 452. After the war, somebody had a bright idea and thought, "Why are we making two difference sizes of barrels?", and when they made 45 Colt, they used 452, same as for 45 Auto.

Your new-made Taurus gun take a 452 bullet.

Is that what you are asking, because you post is a little confusing to me. "Projectile wise i am seeing both .45lc and .45 but not often."
  5. Mrdahut

Mrdahut New Member

Sorry i was not clearer some manufacturers list .45colt and .45 as separate projectiles. others do not so i was not sure if it was something specific.

Thank you very much for your help though. That makes my life a lot easier and cheaper.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Ahh, I think I see.

Most 45 Colt loads use a 250 or 255 grain bullet, while most 45 ACP loads use a 200 or 230 grain. That might be why they list them as separate.

And then there are the older 45 Colt guns, that are still in use and use the 454 bullet, so they are pointing that out, so if you have the older gun and need the larger bullet, you would know to get the 45 COLT bullet, and not just the 45 bullet.
  7. snuffy

snuffy New Member

LDJ, I too had the same problem finding heaviER 45 colt loads. I just bought a Rossi M-92 lever gun in 45 colt. I wanted some thump to the loads, not just a pop and a puff of smoke the 45 SA loads would have given.

I just recently joined the loadData.com forum. http://www.loaddata.com/home/index.cfm For those that don't know, they're affiliated with Rifle-Handloader magazine and the Wolf publishing company. There's a fee, but once you see all the loads that are on that sight, you'll say what I said, why didn't I join this years ago??¿

There's many thousands of loads on there, with more being added every day. Much of it is simply copied from other manuals, but quite a bit from writers that have written articles in Handloader for specific calibers. There was no problem finding many loads to try, both jacketed and for my home cast lead boolits.
  8. LDJ

LDJ Member

Thanks Snuffy
    LDJ