heavy bullets in a 44mag

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mtnman05, Jan 5, 2011.

1. mtnman05

mtnman05 New Member

I own a S&W 629 and I have read where a 300 or 310gr hard cast is about as big as you can go due to cylinder length. Has anyone ever loaded a heavyweight in 44 special brass or trimmed 44mag brass in order to use them in a S&W? I want to do some experimenting and see what I can come up with. I also have some hornady 44mag brass that I have left over from some leverevolutions that are shorter than regular brass I could use.
    Where I hunt deer/black bear it is real thick and I want some good penetration and something to bust the brush well and keep going straight.
    Just a thought

thanks
  2. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

10 lbs of SH*t in a 1lb bag, I wouldn't go over 275gr in .429 diameter, someone makes a makes a cone shaped bullet mould in such a weight. Other than that a 240 Keith bullet will suffice.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

They have them up to 340 gr hardcast (LBT I believe) that said, unless youre hunting a 1500 pound grizzly at handgun distances, a 240 grain pill at 1400 or so will kill most anything that moves. I particularly like the 240 gr XTP over lil gun. itll run close to 1500 from a 7.5 inch gun without going over max. for extreme penetration, you might find comfort in 300 grainers, but i see no reason. a 240 is plenty heavy enough to bust bone and push through.

If you want to try some before loading, buffalo bore makes a HEAVY .44 mag using the 340 grain hardcast. hold on tight though, that stuff is big boy ammo...
  4. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

Follow JLAs advice. I have been shooting the .44 Mags for over 4 decades. I have tried the 300s and have not found them effective except on shooting metal plates. I have decked Elk and moose that were in the 1,200 lb range . These kills were on wounded animals most were running with adrenilen throttles wide open. If you have never used a .44 on heavy game you have no idea what that little cap can do. As far as any slug that will not deflect up on contact with tree limbs a brush, SHOW ME. This whole thing about brush busting and keeping a point blank is so much BS. Now as to big bear medicine, my ole 29 will stay on my belt. My 20" Mdl 97 12 ga loaded every other one buck and slug is my choice. Anyone attacked by a Grizz is going to suffer regardless of your weapon. I have seen men and horses that had tangled with the big bears it an't perrty.

RC
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

even the mighty 750 gr BMG pills will turn when clipping a limb...
  6. muddober

muddober Active Member

mtnman: I did what you are doing about 20 years ago and I found that using a bullet weighing over 270 grains in a 44 mag caused energy to go the other way. Meaning with 270 grain LBT I was still able to produce enough muzzle velocity (1350) to produce more energy than I could with any loading using the 300 grain bullet. I was only able to get about 1200 fps from max loads using a 300 grain bullet which produces less than a 1000 fpe, with the 270 grain bullet at 1350 produces about 1100 fpe.

I hope that helps and that you have as fun as I did playing with it.

Ron
  7. mtnman05

mtnman05 New Member

So basically 300gr is as far as I want to go anyway? no need for shorter brass. Main reason I was leaning toward heavy side is a good friend of mine also shoots a 44 a lot and he is more sensitive to recoil than I am. (i love it) I was trying to figure out a way to load him a lighter special type load with a heavy hard case bullet for penetration.
    As far as deflecting goes. I know darn well a 300gr 44 round isn't going to get knocked off course by a twig like say a 243 with a 100gr or 223 with a 50gr bullet.
  8. 03fxsti

03fxsti New Member

Right on the money. I also think 240 will do plenty damage. Sides, time comes you run into OL Gabe, youd rather have a mossberg! I come from the big hills myself Redwing. Got family in the Riverton, Thermopolis area! Done some Elk hunting on the wood river above Meeteetsee. Thats some scary country nowadays I hear.
  9. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

Don't place a lot of money on the fact that a .223 will deflect more than a .44. The FMJ .223 will penetrate a steel helmet at 500 yds. The FMJ is more lkely to pentrate than deflect as a large lower velocity pistol slug may do when stricking brush

RC.
  10. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Try going the other way and load a 44 special for him. A 240 grain LSWC with 7.0 gr of Win 231 will give him 920 fps assuming a 7 1/2" barrel on his 44 magnum.

Accurate at all ranges and all the penetration you need on anything you are wanting to be shooting your 44 at. If you are in Grizzly country you might want a full house load because recoil won't be on your mind but I guarantee you that this will ruin a deers day at 88 yards and it makes a great light recoiling paper puncher from 7 yards to 100 yards out of my Ruger Super Blackhawk.

I just use LSWC because I am a fan of Kieth style bullets but I like the SJFP bullets too, especially out of my 44 mag loads.
  11. muddober

muddober Active Member

Years ago I read an article on some testing a guy did on deflection of bullets by shooting at a large target placed 50 yards behind brush and limbs. The high velocity light bullets did just as well as the so called slower and heavier brush gun calibers.

If you like recoil you need to get your hands on one those light weight five shot 2 and 1/2 inch 44 spl. Smith use to make and load it with 16 grains of 2400 with a 250 grain cast bullet. I promise, you will put it down before you empty the cylinder. Another one you might try is one of those Smith 500 magnums. I bought some factory Corbon as I recall 470 grain bullets going 1675 fps, that is another one I put down before I emptied the cylinder.

Ron