HEEELLP!

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Redneck2000, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Redneck2000

Redneck2000 New Member

I've just acquired an S&W Model 65-1. It's a .357 in SS w/4in bbl, and I don't know anything abt these puppies. I find stuff on the 'net abt the M-65, but nothing abt what the -1 means. Any info on that?

Also, on the left side just above the trigger, the frame is marked L.C.S.-32. The handles are large wooden ones (they go a good hafl inch below the grip frame) and there is a 'badge set into the wood up near the top. It has the eagle holding arrows and olive branch and lookslike the great seal of the US.

Also, anyone know where I might find a chart or something that w/ID the date of Mfr from the SerNo? S&W w/provide a gun history for $30, but I'd as soon spend that to feed the gun (and me).

I'll be much obiliged for any info on any of these details...

:(
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

The Model 65 is the .357 Military & Police Heavy Barrel Stainless....which is a stainless steel version of the Model 13 M&P Magnum. It was introduced in 1974.

The -1 means that it's the 1st Change.......these are usually fairly minor production changes, but what was changed from the original Model 65 was, I have no idea.

Sounds like your gun has oversize grips.
  3. sig_230

sig_230 New Member

The 65 was the fixed sight version of the 66. It's a K frame 357 Magnum. Model 19 was the blued with adjustable sights, 65 &66 were in satinless. Good gun. The dashed numbers indicate technical changes but there have been so many over the years that no one really knows them all. The $30.00 letter from Roy Jinks is usually worth it, especially since Colt charger $100.00 and up for the same service.
  4. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Psssst.... I might know....

The Model 65 was introduced in 1974 as a stainless steel version of the Model 13 Military & Police in .357 Magnum. Very nice service-style revolver.

The -1 designation was used in 1972 with the Model 64 (same gun in .38 Special only) to denote the change to a heavy-barrel configuration. Since Model 65's were all heavy-barrel guns from their introduction in 1974, they started out as 65-1. In 1977, S&W changed the gas ring from a yoke mount to the cylinder resulting in the 64-2 and 65-2. They eliminated the cylinder counterbore in 1982, and thus the 65-3...

So, without going further, your gun was made between 1974 and 1977.

No charge.
  5. Xracer

No Charge?

Jeez, Doc. You're all heart! :D
  6. Redneck2000

Redneck2000 New Member

Thank you all. That's much more than I knew abt this gun before, and seems to confirm that it was a good acquisition. The "frosted" finish shows almost no wear (just a tiny strip along the rear sighting notch), and the bore looks new. From the logo on the grips (and their lack of wear), I suspect that it may have been a military piece that saw little use. Thx again... :p
  7. Xracer

I doubt if it was a military piece. I don't know of any military that used the 65. The only stainless revolvers that I know of that the military used were some Rugers that were issued to Air Farce gate guards in the '60's or '70's.....and they were in .38 Spl., not .357 Mag.

More likely the original owner took off and saved the original grips and used aftermarket ones....then put the original unused grips back on when he sold it.

Anyway, sounds like a nice piece......enjoy!