Heinie Straight 8 Sights for Carry 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by techoca, Jul 13, 2009.

1. techoca

techoca New Member

I will be installing night sights on my S&W 1911ES that is my CCW. Have any of you installed Heinie Straight 8 Sights on your CCW? I have Novak style on my Springfield Loaded full size pistol and am very happy with them. I am intrigued by the Straight 8 concept.

Please post your opinion.

Thanks,

Eddy

Attached Files:

2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

The idea of having two dots, one above the other isnt new. I remember having that on a Beretta 92 back in the eighties. Though they were white painted dots rather than tritium.

I found it an excellent and easy to use system. I often wondered why two, one above the other wasn't as, or more popular than the more common three dots.

By the way, I love your Smith. The flat mainspring housing, the forward slide serrations, the slick sights, the beavertail, light weight hammer for a fast lock time and even the extended safety. It's about as good as it gets. I would love to shoot it. You see someone with that on their belt, chances are they know what there doing.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2009
  3. jfrey

jfrey New Member

Personally, I've tried 'em and don't like 'em. I'll stick with my Novaks.
  4. techoca

techoca New Member

Thanks Tranter,
    I really like this pistol and feel it makes a great CCW. Thanks for the kind words.

Eddy
  5. techoca

techoca New Member

:confused:One other option I've considered is front night sight only. ??
  6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I've got a set on Heinie's on a Taurus 1911 I just picked up. They're just painted dots though (no tritium, actually I think it's glo-paint but very worn out). Honestly, I haven't paid that much attention to the dots on the sights so I can't really pass judgement on em yet.

As for being snag-proof, I still think the Novaks are a little better for use on a carry gun. These Heinies I've got need some "dehorning" around the edges on the rear sight where the Novaks that I've used have been good to go right out of the box.
  7. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

I just sent my NHC T-3 back to NHC to have the Novaks put on the weapon. It is more a matter of preference ...
  8. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

They dont come any better in my book. Also as I see you carry quotes from Col. Cooper. I was fortunate enough to know him, and know he would also have approved.
  9. techoca

techoca New Member

I like the Novaks too. Thanks for the input guys.

Eddy
  10. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

I just recieved the T-3 back with the Novaks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the Heines:

[​IMG]
  11. techoca

techoca New Member

Doc, that is awesome. The Novaks look great.

The sights on my Smith are very low profile. I called Smith for a price on their night sights for the 1911ES Compact, they were $25 more than other sights I've priced but I want to retain the profile as this is my carry pistol.

Eddy
  12. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

Straight 8`s have been around for decades, still a quality setup- very fast.
  13. sabre03

sabre03 New Member

I am a big fan of the Heinie str 8 sights and have them on two of my 1911's, but I had a smith install on the one pictured and the RRA came with them. It does take some machining but they are worth it. If you install Heine I recommend you get them with The Novak cut; this gives you more options if you want to change them later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. deftec

deftec New Member

straight 8s worked good for me. especially for moving and shooting. only thing i had to get used to was shooting from past 20 yards. then i had to ignore the dots and focus more on the actual irons. seems weird i know. maybe it was just a mind thing.
  15. techoca

techoca New Member

Since this old post has continued to get attention I thought I should update it from my perspective. I found that I prefer Novak style sights. Three of my five 1911s have Novaks.

I decided to install replacement sights from Novak on my 1911ES. The stock sights on the pistol were very low profile Novak style sights. Novak makes an exact replacement night sight with Trijicon inserts and that is what I chose.

The pistol in question is my daily companion.

Attached Files: