Hell Fire Trigger System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Howard Hoover, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Howard Hoover

Howard Hoover Former Guest

Does anyone know anything about this trigger system ?
    I was told it fires 3 rounds every time you pull the trigger,
    & is not considered fully automatic therefore it is or was considered legal.
    It's been several years since the guy told me about it.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

"it fires 3 rounds every time you pull the trigger"

That makes it a machine gun by federal law. Any result that is more than a single shot per single pull of the trigger is considered a machine gun action by the BATF and they will prosecute, as many have found out the hard way.

There may be some other trick if the device is not illegal. One I saw years ago used a crank and as you turned the crank it fired repeated single shots, as I remember it. That device I believe is illegal in California.

LDBennett
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I won two of these. They are legal, because the gun still fires only one bullet per triger pull. It doesn't fire 3 rds. each time you pull the triger, it allows the gun to continue to fire from it's own recoil, as if it were full auto. As stated in the article by GunHuger, it is almost impossible to control where your bullets go. The gun is supported, aimed, and pushed froward by the weak hand, while the strong hand does not come in contact with the gun, except for the triger finger of that hand. I have found that this system causes jams, much like the limp wrist jams in some semi-auto hand guns. There is not sufficent support to the gun by the shooter to keep the gun operating as it should. The stock of the gun does not come in contact with your body, thus allowing the gun to sort of free float. That's the way the Hell Fires system works, recoil. I have tried it with the 10/22 and with an SKS. Both systems are sitting in one of the drawers of one of my gun cabinets, and will most probably never be used again. Wasted money.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  4. Shellback

Shellback New Member

It would be better to learn to bump fire I think, no gizmos just have alot of ammo to dispose of. I was bumping my Saiga 12 because I reload, I just ate up ammo it was fun but the novelty does wear off. I went through a lot of shot and powder...
    Tim
  5. thakidc

thakidc New Member

I guess if you were in a situation where you needed to "blind fire" around a corner... but if you're in a situation like that you probably do or obviously should be wielding a fully auto firearm!
  6. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Check out the web site below. The guy demonstrates a couple of methods of bump firing as well as discussing the hellfire trigger and the legal aspects of bump firing.
    I know a LOT of the guys here on TFF are very opposed to bump firing, and I respect and understand their opinions. That said, if you still desire to simulate full auto fire, it will work. If you do try it, DO NOT DO IT AT THE LOCAL RANGE!!! You will probably be asked to leave and not come back, and someone might think you have an illegal full auto weapon and call the local P.D.! The one exception might be if the range rents full autos and you clear it with whomever is in charge.
    Waste of ammo? Yep.
    Huge rush? Yep.

www.poormansmachinegun.com
  7. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Bump firing is a very dangerous thing to do if you're shooting at a location where you're relying on a relatively small backstop to assure that your rounds do not hit something in the distance. Muzzle rise is inevitable and the shots are all very uncontrolled... Remember that most rifle rounds have a range of a few miles and you're responsible for every one of them after they leave your barrel.
  8. Mac's!

Mac's! New Member

I've heard from freinds who've had one of the Hellfire systems or one of it's variants, that's it's just a glorified method of bump firing.

About twenty years ago, one of the gun mags had an article with photo's of a gizmo that would allow a rifle to fire one round when the trigger was pulled and second round when the trigger was released. Yes, it was legal due to ATF's wording of the law. "One round fired for every stroke of the trigger". A full trigger cycle of in and out has two strokes.

I looked at the photo's, went out to the shop with a Mini-14 and in ten minutes had one of the gizmo's built. Eight of those minutes were spent figuring it out. The gizmo for the Mini-14 is 1/2 of a heavy duty staple. It's different for each type of rifle action. An AK47 gizmo is a strip cut from a soda can.

So, off to the range I went with a Mini-14, a bag of ammo and 1/2 of a staple. For the first test, I only loaded up two rounds and slow fired it by holding the trigger in and then released it. It worked fine. Next test was with ten rounds. This time, I just fired it normally. Surprise! I got a four round burst!

After some more testing and thinking, I figured out what was happening. I would squeeze the trigger normally but my brain says to squeeze and then let loose right away. (It's trained that way!) Two rounds get fired. But the recoil causes the trigger to slap against my finger before it's all of the way out of the way and two more rounds get fired. A perfect four round burst every time.

The interesting thing is that it was fairly accurate since the rifle was being held in a normal manner: Snug into the shoulder and tight grip. Yes, it's dangerous...it's a kind of "Dead Mans' Trigger". If you fire off one round and hold the trigger tight, it's "live" and will fire the second round when you release the trigger. No, the safety will not stop it from firing since the trigger is already pulled. The only way to stop it is to keep holding the trigger tight, remove the mag, open the bolt and dump the live round....all while holding the trigger tight.

Like all fun things, the government made it illegal. ATF changed the wording of the law to: "One round fired for every cycle of the trigger". But it was fun while it lasted! Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
  9. Howard Hoover

Howard Hoover Former Guest

I checked out your website & like I figured I got a good laugh when I clicked on # 2 option for language. Thats funny