1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Hello, New/Carry/Purchase/

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by LoadX90, Feb 13, 2012.

1. LoadX90

LoadX90 New Member

Double Deuce, Thanks so much. I shot the Walther PK380 on Tuesday at the range. I really like it. I like that it holds 8 rounds. My Range I go to, is getting the Walther PPS 9mm as a rental this week, so I am excited to go back this weekend to shoot it. I think I will rent the PPS and the PK380 together to compare more. PPS only holds 6 rounds I have read. Well, we will see.
  2. turbo daddy

turbo daddy New Member

Welcome Loadx90 look for a gun shop with a range alot of them let you rent guns for next to nothing to see what fits your hand and you are comfortable with before you purchase.
  3. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Whatever you get make sure you get a good quality holster and belt. It will make all the difference as to what you can carry everyday comfortably. My favorites for ccw are crossbreed or comp-tac m-tac holsters.

The following are all my own personal opinions:
    I carry 9mm because I can carry more rounds.
    With self defense ammo 9mm should do the trick.
    The recoil of a 9mm compared to a 40 in my opinion is easier to control.
    Whatever gun you choose practice with it...a lot!
    Consider how much practice you will be doing and get a caliber that you can afford.
    For a first gun I suggest a medium to large frame gun.
  4. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

For me, the .22 is inexpensive to shoot and practice with. My .38 Specials and 9mm are for protection. Some how I gotta get a 12 gauge pump shotgun. Oh I almost forgot....More bullets!
  5. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

I would suggest a Bersa in .22 AND a Bersa in .380
    [Firestorm is the same thing] they are almost identical
    except for the slide, aluminum vs steel.......
    you can shoot a lot for cheap, and .380 SD ammo is available.
    Both guns for the price range you mentioned.....2for1...!!!!
    THEN......save and get a S&W M632 in black matte finish and
    enjoy the ultimate in a carry gun......especially if you
    roll your own [reload].
  6. LoadX90

LoadX90 New Member

Thank you, all good info. Everyone has there own experiences, guess I will take all info and just need to build my experiences. Can someone answer this question: If I find my perfect gun and it come in 9mm or .40, size does not change, Ammo is slightly more expensive for .40 than 9mm, but Should I get the larger caliber?? More Stopping Power. I have shot both and like them both. I just do not know which to purchase. I read an article about the Hatcher Rating of Caliber types, and a .40 cal shooting full metal jacket flat nose 180 grain was in perfect range at 53.4 and a 9mm jacketed hollow point 147 grain was a little low at 39.9 with between 50 to 55 being ideal stopping power.
    Also fou
  7. Grapevinebill

Grapevinebill New Member

I had the same question when I was buying my first self defense gun. I was looking at the Beretta 92FS which also comes in .40 as the Beretta 96. Yeah, I got both. One thing to keep in mind is how much you plan to shoot. If you are going to shoot often the 9mm would be my answer just based on price of ammo. They are cheaper and you can get more bullets for the money. I also believe that a 9mm JHP that is placed in the right spot would be plenty of stopping power, but there are those who will disagree.

Good luck!
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    It won't be long untill you start looking at the .45!
  9. jce07a

jce07a New Member

grapevinebill is right, there are advantages and disadvantages to either caliber...i hope these pics give you a little insight on what you're dealing with. as you can see, there is barely any size difference between the 9 and .40 but the size difference that is there is enough to be more damaging as you can see by the other pic

Attached Files:

10. LoadX90

LoadX90 New Member

Nice Graphs jce07a
    Okay next questions are:
    What are your opinions on Nickel?
    Is it easy to take care of?
    The PK380 has a black or Nickel. PPS is only black.
    I thought the silver was stainless steel, but it is nickel.
  11. LoadX90

LoadX90 New Member

Wow, I had a fun day. 4th time at the range in 2 months. Shot four different handguns today using 200 rounds, 50 threw each to test them. Now I know it is very important to shoot several different guns. I mainly went today because the range just got the Walther PPS in to rent. I have seen and held this gun and thought it would be great because it is lite weight and a single stack to carry should I want to carry. This was the 1st one I used today, 2nd I used the M&P Compact, 3rd was XDM and 4th was the Glock 26.

Surprised myself, with my shooting abilities today. Also I am very surprised that the Walther PPS is now off of my first handgun purchase list. It is a nice, but after only being able to load 6 rounds in the mag I got borned having to shoot and reload so often. Also after only 24 shots and this gun being so slim, I found the back strap cutting or rubbing into my my hand. After 50 rounds the skin between my thumb and pointer finger was sore and red. I could see having this one day but not as my first.

So, mainly today after all I have shot, I now have only three guns I think I will really like. How in the world do I pick one or decide which to own first? The Glock 26 with pinky extension, is the lightest at 20oz, the the M&P at 22oz and the XDM is the heaviest at 30oz. I like the size of all of these. I do not have big hands so all of these felt really good. So somehow I have to flip a coin on these 3 choices I really like.

Then to make things more difficult, I was in another Gun Shop later today and a old guy came in and bought himself the Taurus Judge. What a beast. But anyway, he was telling sales guy about a meeting his community had with a few police officers. He said the cops were telling him how they have seen many cases where a 9mm would crack but bounce off a car windshield and not go through the windshield. 9mm has the speed but not the power. So this has now made me think again back (like I wanted in the beginning) to getting a .40 cal. Luckily the 3 model guns I now know I want are available in 9mm, 40 cal & 45. So I just need to figure out the popular question 9mm or .40
  12. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

Which XDM did you shoot the 3.8 or the sub compact?
  13. LoadX90

LoadX90 New Member

Hey I shot the XDM 3.8 Compact 9mm. I liked it. The only thing is that it is on the higher end of weight at about 30 oz. Being this to be my first handgun, maybe it will be okay, since I have nothing to compare to. The S&W-M&P 9mm was very simliar but was about 10oz less. I really liked both.

This morning someone told me to make sure to get one that I can and will carry, "It does not do any good if you don't have it with you" and mentioned the Springfield XD Sub Compact 9mm. I also like this one and a guy at a gun shop on Saturday had just traded the Glock 26 that he had for a while for the XD Sub Compact. So now I guess I should add this to my list. It is less expensive, High Capacity Mag, reliable, smaller.
    The Glock 26 I like is the one the guy traded in. I could get it for about $450. It was his EDC and it was not shot a whole lot, the gunsmith told me.

Here are pics of M&P and XDM Compact

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

I would buy the Glock in a heartbeat, especially over the other two pictured. But that's just me.

I also daily carry a Kel-tec PF9. Light, accurate and reliable. Also, $260 NEW. I got a used one for $200. :D

Goes bang every time, just like my glock.
  15. LoadX90

LoadX90 New Member

Nice graehaven that is what I am thinking. Mainly it is good gun, and the price is great for me right now.