Hello! New gun owner here!

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by darkwolf210, Oct 24, 2010.

1. darkwolf210

darkwolf210 New Member

First off, hello everyone. I own a Glock 27 .40 caliber. It's my first handgun and am very pleased with it, however I have a few questions that may seem like second hand knowledge to you, but makes me very frusterated I dont know. Here goes.

First off, I'd like to buy another handgun for self protection. I love the Glock series because it's well the gun you'd buy to someone that doesnt know to much about guns. Is there any tactical handguns (i'm not in lawenforcement) regardless of price that i should begin to research? I'm not going to start a caliber debate but something that is 9mm or higher.

Secondly, I'm very interestesd in buying an assault rifle (5.56) but the price tag on them are very high for me right now (The person at my local gunshop said 1.700-,1900. I heard there are rebates for rifles like that, any idea on where to begin looking for those deals? Also once again any advice on what brand to start looking into would be much appreciated.

Thirdly, I need to know how many rounds you can "safely" put through a gun before it starts to get innacurate and may endanger me or my family if a self defense situation came up because of the wear and tear. (General estimate ie is it safe to go to the range every other day with a handgun and still relly on it to safe your life?)

Thanks alot for your time and hopefully ill be very active at this forum to hel someone just like me when they started, "Stay frosty" guys :)
  2. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum. I too, was a new gun owner at age 60. I found this site and posted all kinds of questions, and received very good answers.

Personally, I am very partial to the 1911 style of .45ACP. I have 3 Kimbers and a Colt and they all shoot incredibly well.

I know nothing about Assault Rifles, but I am sure many will follow with sound advice.

I'm not sure about your last question as I haven't seen and/or read much pertaining to guns getting dangerous because they have been shot too many times. Buy good name handguns and then maintain them well
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Depending on the gun and the ammo, a handgun could fire 100,000 rounds or more without any significant wear or inaccuracy, and many have. Or one round could wreck it. (Sort of like asking how far a car can be driven without becoming useless - one answer is ten feet, if off a cliff.)

That .40 Glock should be fine for self defenxse, but Glock has a whole lineup of 9mm and .40 caliber pistols (not to mention .45), so it is mainly a matter if personal choice. If you choose to go to some other maker or type of handgun, the world opens even wider. The truth is that everyone here will have his/her opinion on the best choice. A good idea might be to read a lot of the "what should I buy" posts and narrow down your choices. Then, if you have friends with some of the guns you are thinking about, or if there is a rental range in your area, try them out.

For another bad simiie, it is sort of like someone asking you "what kind of a man/woman should I marry?" Not an easy question to answer and probably one to walk away from.

HTH

Jim
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

hello darkwolf. welcome to the forum and God bless you.

almost any handgun, when given proper care can outlive it's owner. more damage is done due to improper maintenance then from shooting. you should replace the recoil spring in your glock every 3 -5 thousand rounds. in any handgun really. the more often you replace the spring, the less wear the gun will acquire.

for another handgun i will suggest a different caliber then 40. while some will say having another glock in the same caliber is a good idea, and it is, my thinking is that, should you go to buy 40 and not be able to find any you will have a good chance of getting another caliber.

a full size glock g17 or g22 is always a good choice, but a 1911 in 45acp would my choice for a full size gun considering you already have a glock.

the price quoted for an "assault" rifle is high. you can get an ar 15 for around an 850 -1000 dollar range. i would suggest a bushmaster or dpms. olympic arms is okay, but i would suggest you make sure it's not the cheapest model they make because it will lack the features you're most likely going to desire when you get into really learning to use it.

for a gun in a different caliber other then 556 i would suggest an sks. while the 10 round fixed mag isnt very tactical, the guns are reliable and robust and should provide a lot of fun
  5. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Hello darkwolf and welcome.

As for the "assault rifle", I don't know what brand of AR(?) you're looking at but there are models that are FAR cheaper - as in half - that will do anything you want to do. Check other firearms dealers and local gun shows.

I am not a fan of Glock-style handguns. I've shot them but they don't feel comfortable in my hand, JMHO. If the gun is for personal protection, I would go with a single-stack 9mm compact. Thin, light and easy to slip into your pocket for when the SHTF.

How many rounds willl wear out a barrel? 1, 10, 100, 1000, 100,000, 1,000,000? It depends. It depends if you shoot cast bullets, jacketed bullets, use factory loads, hot handloads, how many rounds are shot per year, never clean, aggressively clean, atmospheric conditions it is exposed to, blah, blah, blah. It's safe to say the majority of us will never have to replace a barrel under normal shooting conditions.

Hope this helps. :)
  6. darkwolf210

darkwolf210 New Member

Wow, thank you all for the quick and knowledgable responses, i'll def shop around and put this knowledge to good use :) thanks again
  7. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    first off if you are satisfied with the glock,then stick with it.they make a number of high cap pistols that are excellant.the number of rounds put thru gun as was already told is almost infinent,i shoot a smith revolver and i sell them after 10,000 rounds.that is not because the average shooter would think they are any where near wore out its because im anal about it.the question about tactical weapons is another thing.olympic arms makes a number of rifles in the 700-800.00 range and they are quality firearms.i own two of them.i want to mention a couple of other things.first off a shotgun is a good home defence gun,a 12 gauge pump can be had pretty reasonable both new and used.as long as you dont use slugs or buckshot you dont have to worry about going thru walls and killing neighbors.the other thing you may want to do is buy a 22 pistol,they are very cheap to shoot and are a good learning tool.the last thing i will mention since you are a new gun owner is to read up on firearms safety as much as possible.welcome to you and good shooting. old semperfi
  8. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I am really partial to the new Ruger offering or any Mini 14. I owned a Colt M4 ( thats what we had in the USMC many moons ago) and had to sell it:-( but when the time is right for another 5.56 it will be Mini 14.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

For a "beginner's" AR (not assault rifles - they are restricted and select fire) semi-auto "military style sporter" is a better term for this class - try Bushmaster. They make a wider variety and sell more MSS rifles than any of the other 3 dozen manufacturers. Also, you can start at around $800 and get a serviceable rifle that can be left alone or "improved" upon by adding lots of hang on stuff.
    As to a pistol - lots of good suggestions - if you like the fit and feel of the Glock - go for another - get a G17 or G19 in 9mm. 1911s take some getting used to and sometimes proper training to shoot well. JMHO!
  10. SARG

SARG Member

Glock is an excellent choice ........ six of my twenty handguns are Glocks and they would be my first preference if I had a "situation".
  11. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF !! Take a look on the AR and Tactical forums for a good used AR setup, you can find a deal if you're patient enough.

As far as rounds through a defensive gun, my .02 is this; it's not going to be a good defensive gun until You have put at least 200 rounds through it (bare minimum, IMO its not smart to buy a gun for defense purposes, buy one box of ammo, shoot a few rounds through it and then load it up and put your life on the line with it.) and since it's a defensive gun, you'll be practicing with it frequently ( this amount is up to you, but I think once a month at least). By the time the gun does "wear out", you'll be familiar with it and you'll know when that time has come. Your groups will open up and you'll notice slop here and there. Time to replace wear items and keep it tuned up.
  12. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Howdy!

I avoid all the military/tactical/police stuff myself, because except for Bambi (for which I like a bolt-action in .30-06), I have no need for offensive weapons. All my interests are strictly defensive. But as to the Glock, you may like take a look at http://www.glocktalk.com, where there are folks who take the Glock as an item of religious veneration. Not that you should neglect your new friends here, of course.